We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

We are renting a car for several days, & are trying to decide whether to return our car before or after going to Teotihuacan. We will be coming from Cuernavaca. The cost of the car is minimal - we are more concerned about hassles. Our options are 1) to drive to Teotihuacan with luggage in the trunk (concern about theft while visiting the ruins) & then return the car before our stay in Mexico City; 2) to drop our luggage at the airport (are there lockers for luggage?) & then drive to Teotihuacan (wonder about the hassle of this); 3) drop our luggage at our hotel on the Reforma & then drive to Teotihuacan (how bad would it be to find the hotel & deal with traffic getting to hotel & then to ruins?) & 4) return car & take public transportation to the ruins from hotel the next day (metro & bus -- which is better, to go from Terminal del Norte or Indios Verdes? I've read different responses in terms of return buses being infrequent or stopping during rush hour traffic...) So, any advice about these options would be much appreciated!

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

Traffic is always an issue in Mexico City like in all big cities. I will pick options 1 or 3. I wouldn't worry of the items in the trunk. Most car breaking episodes are because valuable objects are left visible on the car seats not in the trunk. Driving from Reforma to Teotihuacan will depend on the time you drive (I'd say after 9:30am the conflict will be less).

Public transport is a good option and I will suggest you use the bus service from Terminal del Norte.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
137 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

I found the bus quite reliable. On the way there it did slowly go through the town so took about 1.5hrs but on the way back it went straight back and that was just over an hour. Obviously driving will always save time, but the bus was easy to use and I found it relaxing instead of having to drive and worry about directions.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

Thank you for your speedy response! This is helpful. So, if we leave Cuernavaca in the AM, would you recommend leaving after 9 am? I have a map, but it still looks confusing -- would you have specific directions to Reforma & then to Teotihuacan? How long would you estimate it would take to get to Reforma & then to the ruins? Alternatively, if we drive directly, how long would you estimate that would take, & what general route would work the best? I did read that we should arrive at Teotihuacan early, but that may not correspond with having the best traffic. Does the parking at the ruins have security around? Finally, I read that if you have a license plate that ends in a certain number, you can't drive in the city that day (or risk an $80 fine) - we won't know the number of our plates until we pick up our car - is this something we should worry about? Thanks for your help.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

I assume you are hiring a car? If so then check with the agency that your car has "0" or "00" verification. As long as it does then you do not have to obey any of the "no drive" rules. If it doesn't then you can't even drive into Mexico City before 11 am (Monday to Friday) regardless of license plate and so you're pretty well screwed :) But I am sure it will have verification as any newish car will so you should be fine on that score.

To get to Reforma from Cuernavaca is probably around 2 hours (maybe a little less with good traffic). The easiest way to navigate is to get on the Periferico and take the Reforma exit in Chapultepec Park. I can give detailed directions on that route if you like. It may be quicker to head straight up Tlalpan through the heart of the city but once you get near the zocalo it gets a bit confusing so probably best to stick to the easiest route.

When I drove from Reforma to Teotihuacan I did it in 45 minutes - again, I can give directions on how to do that (let me know the hotel you're staying at). To get to the airport is probably 2 hours from Cuernavaca too and then it's an easy 30-45 minutes from there to the pyramids. Again, once you decide what to do then I can give you directions.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

Yes, we are renting a car. The hotel is the Mariott Reforma (Paseo de la Reforma 276 Col Juarez). It sounds like it would be best to go from Cuernavaca to the Mariott (drop luggage), to Teotihuacan, to the airport (Benito Juarez). Then, perhaps we can take the Metro to the hotel from the airport (if so, what stop would that be?). We really appreciate your help & directions!

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

After you return your car I think the best way to go back to your hotel is by taxi. Tell the courtesy shuttle driver to drop you at the "sitio" on Carlos Leon St. This sitio is used by pilots, crew and workers (and myself) and is just in front of the main terminal. The cost is about the half of the authorized taxis from the main building (I usually pay what is on the taximeter plus 10 more pesos as a tip).

If you want to use the metro, tell the driver to drop you the closest to the station "Terminal Aerea" (Line 5, Yellow) and take the convoy bound "Pantitlan" where you have to transfer to Line 1 (Pinkish) bound to "Observatorio". From Pantitlan your destination station is "Insurgentes" (about 14 stations) and then walk probably 900 yds. to your hotel.

www.metro.df.gob.mx/red/index.html

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

Conscientious - I have sent you a Private Message containing driving directions. I recommend using Google maps to get an idea of where you're going beforehand - have fun!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

It is an easy drive as most have indicated and you then remove the hassle factor of public transport. Be less worried about robbery from a closed trunk at the pyramids, the parking lot is well guarded. However, dropping off your luggage first at the hotel is a lot easier and your hotel is on the way basically anyway.

Mexico City, Mexico
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

I was going to give you some more advises but i think you already recieve the best, I just wanted to ask, Have you thought taking a private tour, I think it´s more comfortable cause you don´t have to worry about driving or taking the right bus, and been with a tourist guide it´s more interesting cause he can explain the things better for you and it´s not more expensive than a tourist agency and in this way you can tell him where or where not to go and save lots of time, you can ask for an estimated about this tour to them.

Either way I hope you have lots of fun and welcome to Mexico.

For further information and question just contact me, i´ll feel glad to help you.

Cheers!!

Edited: 05 June 2010, 02:00
10. Re: drive or public transport to Teotihuacan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2010, 05:17