We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MEX connection - customs, immigration

Folsom , CA
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
MEX connection - customs, immigration

Looking at booking travel from San Francisco to Cancun with Mexicana airline with a 3.5 hour layover at Mexico City.

Do we go through the immigration and customs at Mexico City or Cancun?

Reading differing answers as to my question as to the current policy in Mexico. Some say that Mexico has moved or is moving over to the U.S. system, and you have to clear immigration and customs and re-check your bags regardless of your final destination,. Not travelling until 2011, if that makes a difference. Travelling with kids, so just want to be prepared.

Appreciate any help!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MEX connection - customs, immigration

In theory you would do as you do in the U.S. - so clear immigration, pick up your bags, clear customs and re-check. However most of the time people's bags are being checked all the way through and you simply have to clear immigration in Mexico City. I don't think anyone can tell for sure what the rule will be in 2011 so I suggest you call the airline nearer the time.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MEX connection - customs, immigration

Exactly, you cleared costums pick up your bags but something different that the U.S. is that you need to go and cross the terminal to the Nationals departures and check-in again. By the way United offers direct flights from S.F. to Cancun but seasonal, also Mexicana offers direct flights but from L.A. I think it's easier to do a stop in IAH (Houston) with Continental.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MEX connection - customs, immigration

Id rather transit through Mexico City than Houston any day! Great food and you dont have to hear the endless loop message about making jokes about security in the airport with THAT man's name over and over again (even if it is the somewhat smarter father)

If you cant go completely in carryon luggage mschrag - make sure to have bathing suits and even a change of clothing for that evening in your carryons, just in case they dont make the connecting flight.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: MEX connection - customs, immigration

AGREE! Houston is the WORST. It is way too big and dull and if your 1st flight is late you have to dash like a crazy athlete thru halls, run down people movers, up elevators, on train...and if you have a long layover you have to listen to that crazy anti-joking message which just makes you wanna joke...coming from MEX to US the security are so mean, nasty, I always just feel like turning around and coming back here. end of rant.

5. Re: MEX connection - customs, immigration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 05:17