We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to the butterflies

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to the butterflies

The two of us would like to rent a car in Mexico City and drive to Toluca and then on to the Butterfly Sanctuary for a few days in February. Is this a bad idea? We have looked to stay at a few small hotels along the way, and it seems that hiring a car and driver would make this trip difficult. We do not speak Spanish. Any ideas?

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to the butterflies

Driving in Mexico is not for the faint of heart.

If you want to go to Valle de Bravok where you will pass some butterfly areas, you are probably OK. However, be prepared for twists and turns and slow trucks - before that be ready for people to cut you off with a moment's notice.

If you want to go to the Michaocan sanctuaries, I vote note. I will never take my own car there again. It is a nightmarish road.

You can do it as a day trip from Mexico City and hiring a car and driver would really not be that expensive and would save you lots of possible headaches.

Also note that police tend to watch for rental cars and pull them over more. Non-Spanish speakers would be a real win. We usually say they need money for breakfast or a sandwich. You would pay for 3 square meals for a week.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to the butterflies

Thanks for the reply. We have three days for this trip. And I think that getting there may be just as much fun as seeing the butterflies themselves....especially in a rental car. I am a little put off by the idea of the police stopping me, as I don't speak Spanish....but it happened before in Playa del Carmen and it was not that much of an issue.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to the butterflies

Check out Valle de Bravo to stay in a hotel, because it is tyring and indeed to much rushing to do it as a day trip if you want to enjoy the trip itself. Book in advance if you go during weekend, because hotels there get full with capitalinos.

4. Re: Driving to the butterflies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 08:17