We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No more Mexicana de Aviación

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
415 reviews
Save Topic
No more Mexicana de Aviación

As of noon tomororw (Saturday, August 28), Mexicana will cease operating all flights. This goes for Mexicana Click and Mexicana Link as well.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No more Mexicana de Aviación

So sad :( But what will happen in the future anyone? Which airlines will come?

I really hope Air Canada adds flights the same as United or Continental. Oh and it will be great that TAM had a flight to Brazil and that Swiss had one to Zurich.

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No more Mexicana de Aviación

This is really bad news for everyone who loses their job and for us passengers. I also wish Air Canada reinstates service to Mexico City, at least until Mexicana gets going again. I just filled the refund claim on Mexicana site, has anyone been successful in getting a refund from them? Thank you.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No more Mexicana de Aviación

I lost over 300,000 miles. Now Aeromexico is pushing the prices up at will.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No more Mexicana de Aviación

For travelers between the US and Mexico, things are even worse -- due to air traffic control problems in Mexico, the US FAA has restricted the addition of new airline services between the US and Mexico. This means that other airlines are not allowed to add services to cover the ones that were lost.

Airfares to Mexico City are some of the highest that I've ever seen...

The business press speculates that someone will buy Mexicana's assets and restart services, in order to inherit Mexicana's valuable international routes (because the addition of such routes is also limited by treaties, regardless of what problems Mexico has with the FAA.)

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No more Mexicana de Aviación

And it doesn't help that Canadians have to go thru the US to get to Mexico now.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No more Mexicana de Aviación

jcs - my understanding is that the restriction on new routes only applies to Mexican airlines. There is no reason why American airlines cannot increase their routes.

7. Re: No more Mexicana de Aviación

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 07:23