We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary for next week.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary for next week.

My wife & I are coming to Mexico City for 5 nights on Sept 24 then heading up to San Miguel. Our itinerary in Mexico City is:

Arrive very late Friday night, staying at Red Tree House

Sat: Chapultepec Park & Zona Rosa

Sun: Xochimilco & either San angel or Coyoacan

Mon: teohuatiacan

Tues: cento & Zocalo

Questions. Are either of our choices for Sat & Sun better either day because we can switch. We want to do those things on the weekendbecause we hear it's more lively. What is better San Angel or Coyoacan? I am not too fond of Architectural sites but we don't know what else we can do on Monday. Also, is Mercado Merced good on Mon or Tues? Any other suggestions. We like walking neighborhoods & seeing how people live. We are staying in Condesa so we will hang out there as well. Thanks, Keith

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

PS. We would also like to possibly fit in the Mariachi Park, ballet folkloric, and some salsa music or a concert if one is happening

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

Your plan sounds fine to me. Xochilmilco is best on Sundays. Teotihuacan is really quite impressive - the pyramids are nearly as big as the Egyptian ones and 3 times the size of ones like Chichen Itza. Your hotel should be able to advise you on things like concerts or the ballet folkloric - leave yourself a bit of flexibility as Mexico is a "go with the flow" type of place :))

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

You can enjoy the Ballet Folklorico either the 25 or 26 at the Castillo de Chapultepec!!!

Showtime is 8:00pm. Search Ballet Folklorico de Mexico @

www.ticketmaster.com.mx

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

Thank you Stevemex & Miguel-Mex for your quick response. I will do the pyramids. Do you suggest just busing it out there? Can I pick up an inexpensive guide at the site to help us understand what it's all about? When we were In Cancun we did the tour to tulum/Xcel-ha (I hate tours by the way). It did help us understand what we were looking at as opposed to just looking at a bunch of old rocks. I did enjoy that! Can we self guide at The pyramids? How much would you suggest paying someone (if it's available) for their services?

Also, can you compare San Angel with Coyoacan for me in terms of what they look like, when to go, what to do, etc. I understand that lunch is nice at Hacienda San Angel. Do either of them have a street fair on certain days. Do they have a nice central plaza or zocalo? Thanks for your help! I have been using tripadvisor forum for all m trips over the last 6 years.

Edited: 16 September 2010, 00:57
New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

We were in Mexico City about two weeks ago. One of the most enjoyable sights we came across there was on Sunday along Reforma along the Chapultepec. It seemed that people of all ages and all backgrounds were on the boulevard biking, jogging, walking or taking a casual stroll with their families. I was also told by the staff in our hotel that a whole stretch of Reforma is often closed to traffic on Sundays and is reserved for enjoyment for people either for themselves or with their families. Local areas of interest include: the Musuem of Anthropology (a must see for any visitor to Mx City), the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens and the Musuem of Modern Art.

You might like to change your itineray and visit this area and nearby interests on a Sunday.

Best

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

Hi Keith,

Hope you enjoy your time in DF! I might suggest San Angel/Coyoacan on Saturday, because the Bazaar Sabado (good art market) happens in San Angel on Saturdays. We bring all our visitors here on Saturdays w/the following itinerary:

* arrive in San Angel around 10:30AM, have a coffee on Plaza San Jacinto while the artists are setting up. Perhaps a tamale verde from the women selling tamales on the sidewalk on the east side of the plaza.

* wander around Bazaar Sabado indoors before the throngs of tourists arrive, then check out the artists in the 3 plazas outdoors.

* save up your walking energy and take a taxi (sitio stand in front of Plaza San Jacinto) to Coyoacan & eat lunch there.

* have the taxi take you to Mercado Coyoacan at the intersection of Ignacio Allende & Malintzin. Enter the market and wander around until you find the corner of yellow tablecloths marking the Tostadas Coyoacan stand. Order a few tostadas (jaiba, camaron, ceviche) and aguas (sandia or maracuya). Sooo good.

* For dessert, leave the market & get a cafe de olla @ El Jarocho on the corner of Allende & Cuauhtemoc. Walk a couple storefronts down on Allende & get a couple churros from a hole-in-the-wall spot.

* Check out the area around the Jardin Centenario, consider stopping for a mezcal and/or a plate of chapulines (grasshoppers) at Corazon de Maguey or Los Danzantes.

If you are still inspired & it's not too late in the day, then you can go check out Chapultepec. I would skip Zona Rosa, pretty uninteresting; Condesa/Roma are more amusing.

Everything else sounds great--

Xochimilco on Sunday, pyramids on Monday when all museums are closed, Zocalo on Tues. Mercado Merced will be bustling any day, but also consider Mercado Jamaica for your mercado visit-- it is the wholesale flower market & you can take the metro there (Jamaica stop), ask around for where the flower section is if not obvious. Have tacos in the 'normal' mercado section @ Carnitas Paty, ask for "de maciza" to avoid snouts, etc.

I have a map of a few cantinas in the Centro on my blog at midwesternerinmexico.com/2009/… stop at La Mascota for free food while drinking. I also have a post on Plaza Garibaldi somewhere, but it is great on a Friday or Saturday night. You can hit "Guadalajara de Noche" in Garibaldi for a 'traditional' Mexican music/dancing show for like $30 peso cover + cheap drinks.

Hope that helps & have a blast!

Edited: 17 September 2010, 06:29
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

I second the above. Try to go to San Angel/Coyoacan on Saturday to take advantage of the Bazaar Sabado. Save Chapultepec park for Sunday. The good/bad of going on Sunday is that most, if not all, of the museums will have free entrance on Sunday. Therfore you save some money, though they will be more crowded with locals out enjoying the day with their families.

Another tip: when travelling to San Angel, take the Metro south to the Viveros station, then take a taxi to the center of San Angel or Coyoacan. They shouldn't charge more than about 35 pesos, and using the metro will be much faster than trying to cab it all the way from Condesa.

Mexico City, Mexico
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

Hi, well as other people said, it is better to go to San Angel and Coyoacan on Sat because of the Bazar which is very interesting, you can mix them because they are pretty close, Xochimilco sound good for sunday and Piramyds for monday, Garibaldi and Guadalajara de Noche seems to be a good option too.

A tour to the piramyds might cost you around 1100 pesos transportation, and certified guide, in the same tour or day you can also visit the Basilica the Guadalupe wich is a MUST DO while you are in Mexico city, plus is in the way.

If you Want I can help you out with the guide, it is more comfortable in this way, better than take metro, I do not really recomend mercado la Merced, Mercado San Juan close to Salto del agua metro station, could be nicer and better.

Take care and enjoy the city.

Welcome to Mexico city.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

You have gotten really good advise here. You will also enjoy staying in Condesa. The night life in Condesa is amazing. I recomend u have dinner at Arturo's. It's in Cuernavaca 68. An awesome quick lunch at frutos prohibidos. Luck!

10. Re: Help with itinerary for next week.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 04:16