We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paintings by local artists

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
paintings by local artists

Is there a street or a park where local artists show off (and sell) their works? I'm looking for in DF something like Montmartre in Paris and Paseo de los Pintores in Miraflores Lima.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paintings by local artists

In what people call Parque Sullivan (in back of the Monumento de la Madrid, about 1 block from the Bolsa or Stock Exchange), artists set up their works on Sundays until around 3 pm. It attracts a local crowd.

In the park at Plaza San Jacinto in San Angel, Saturday morning is the Bazaar del Sábado and artists set up. There are lots of artsy shops around there too and it is well worthwhile and popular with tourists and locals.

On the median of Alvaro Obregon in the Roma neighborhood artists set up on Saturday and Sunday - they do this from around in front of Casa Lamm (cultural center and restaurant and book store) for about 3-4 blocks. More of a local crowd.

Artitsts peddling to tourists will set up on streets in the Zona Rosa and some will set up on Condesa streets.

Try the first two I list - you will be overwhellmed with quality choices.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paintings by local artists

sorry - typo above - Parque Sullivan is behind the Monumento de la Madre (Mother), not Madrid. My apologies.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: paintings by local artists

Happy,

We won't be in the city on Saturday and we'll arrive on Sunday only at 3pm. Parque Sullivan's artists will be all gone by the time we get there. Damn.

We'll try to look around the local galleries in Zona Rosa and Condesa. I guess Polanco's galleries carry the works way above our reach.

I appreciate your information. Thank you.

4. Re: paintings by local artists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2011, 06:40