We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

is it better to go by tour or a bus?

if by bus, is it safe? also, how do we find the bus (what number, bus station), how much and how long will it take?

if by tour, which tour agency is good? heard that many tours stop at tourist traps along the way with little time at the pyramids itself. is it true?

Thanks

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

The Teotihuacan site is reachable by bus, which is substantially cheaper than taking a cab all the way to the site.

Buses depart from Mexico City's north bus terminal. You can get to the bus station by taxi, or, if you feel comfortable, on the Metro (station Autobuses del Norte). Departures from this station are frequent.

When you get to the bus station, look for the ticket window that sells tickets to Teotihuacan (Autobuses Teotihuacan). Buy a ticket at the window and make sure that your ticket is to the pyramids (Piramides), as opposed to a different station in the nearby town.

The bus will drop you off at the pyramids, I think at the first gate (Puerta 1). For the return trip, you'll have to catch the bus on the street, because there is no permanent bus station or stop. Although you could probably catch the return bus in the same location where you were dropped off, you could save some walking by catching the bus on the road that runs down the whole side of the complex (outside Puerta 1, 2, and 3, past the parking areas.) Just to be sure, ask a worker or salesman exactly where the bus stops before standing outside and waiting.

Aside from the north bus terminal, the bus may also stop at the Indios Verdes metro station in Mexico City. Although it's possible to get off here and take the metro back into the city, I wouldn't recommend it due to the greater likelihood of getting robbed. On your return trip, make sure that you tell the driver that you want to go to "Terminal del Norte".

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

Yes, the tours do stop at tourist traps along the way. A common itinerary is to stop at the Basilica de Guadalupe and the tourist traps before arriving at the pyramids. I don't know of any particular tour company that doesn't do this.

Toronto
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

Hello

Do you know if the guides working at the site associated with the site or are they independent guide hanging around offering their service?

Is it worth it to hire a guide at the site?

thanks for your advice

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

thank you! any idea how long the bus ride will take?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

Hi clardot, by bus, it could take more than 2 hours depending on your departure point at Mexico City. On a Friday, forget about it. In a tour, they will certainly take you to the tourist traps. If you are really interested in learning about this magnificent site and possibly include a visit to one or more of the fabulous museums surrounding the site, you need a private driver-guide.

Regards

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

The bus that I was referring to takes about 45 minutes. I've gone on both Fridays and weekends, and never had serious problems with traffic. However, I can imagine the traffic getting bad if you are going along with rush hour traffic, such as if you went late in the day.

Toronto
Level Contributor
420 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

I've taken the bus that jcs27 mentions, from Norte to Teotihuacan. The scheduled time was about an hour, and on the way there I think it was just a touch over an hour; on the way back it might have been a little longer due to traffic around the city. This was on a Sunday, I believe. It wasn't bad at all, and I would do it again; you just need some flexibility around your schedule. The only safety issue (aside from the usual possibility of being pickpocketed, which is true of every tourist site anywhere) was that the bus does stop a couple times in each direction. On our last leg, which traveled along the highway, there were people standing in the aisles without anything to hold on to. It occurred to me that in case of a sudden stop (or worse, a crash), the result would be pretty catastrophic.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

All guides have to be certified, also the local ones; ask for their certificate. The older local guides, though, have never passed a course, and also the younger ones are not obliged to take renewal courses. To be sure you get an up-to-date story about the site's history, try to get a "federal" guide (he has done a longer preparatory course and has to take renewal courses every four year)

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

I have been to to The Pyramids twice and rode the Metro to the northside bus station. The correct ticket booth is all the the way to the left side as you enter. The ride takes about an hour and is a good experience in itself. If you don't get off at the right stop you may ride all the way to Apan. If you getcaught in rush hour traffic it will be a good opportunity to get a good look at the pretty and not so pretty D.F.

Edited: 19 December 2010, 13:49
10. Re: Teotihuacan - by tour or by bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 06:16