We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico city safe for Americans

Mexico City
1 post
Save Topic
Mexico city safe for Americans

As a traveler who frequents Mexico and often drives and just left Mexico City on Monday I would say that it is a very safe city to travel in. Yes Mexico has problems with the drug trade and ye the economy is bad but we as Americans are not targeted soley because we are Americans the people who are targeted are those that show flashiness (jewery and large amounts of cash) but that could be any traveler from any country. Just don't go looking for trouble but always expect it and you'll be just fine

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

Whatever opinion people had about Mexico City 5 years ago, for example, shouldn't change because of the drug violence. This hasn't been a problem for the city at all. Of course that it still has its problems with safety, but I don't think they are bad in the areas where tourists hang out.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

Did you think that because you are American you'd be targeted by the bad guys?

It's safe for Europeans too, even for "jewery" (sic) since it has a large Jewish population!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

Mexico City has become the neutral ground in the country. Even the bad guys like to go to the movies and go out for dinner and they want to send their kids to safe schools. It is odd, but the city has not been this safe in a decade. I use my Cartier watches much more often than in the past.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

I'm on the fifth night of a six night stay in Mexico City and I have had no issues other than feeling a bit crowded at times. Not danger, just shoved and squished a little - and only when at/near the Zocalo and on one of maybe 20 subway rides.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Zocalo
Zocalo
4,482 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

Keep in mind that crime is still bad in the city, but it tends to affect residents, not tourists.

The only reason why Mexico City doesn't look that bad now is because other areas of the country are much worse. Just last week a couple of friends (in two different instances) had their cars hijacked at gunpoint. They would have taken a woman with them as well had it not been for a bunch of people going out of their houses at the same time. There's no reason for tourists to be in those areas, though.

Of course that those are just anecdotes, but even the local government accepts crime is worse:

www.excelsior.com.mx/index.php…

And that's just for crimes people bother reporting.

Don't let the fact that tourists are safe make you think that the whole of the city is.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

The murder statistics are the most reliable (since murders are nearly all reported) and Mexico City's murder rate (9-10 per 100,000 population) is on a par with many U.S. cities and a lot better than some (e.g. Washington DC). Of course, where you are in the city is very important!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

I disagree, Steve. You cannot disregard all other types of crimes, especially when kidnapping and extortion (in all its forms) are common crimes in Mexico City. The fact they don't get you killed doesn't mean you're safe.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

JulianM: I'm curious -- where did these carjackings occur? A friend was carjacked (at night) this year near San Angel, and her father was kidnapped in a taxi a couple of years before around the Cuatro Caminos metro.

Even with the recent rise in murders in Mexico City, the homicide rate is still about half that of the city where I'm currently living. However, I would still urge a foreign visitor to Mexico City to use more caution than they would in Washington, DC.

Washington, DC is a diverse, mostly-wealthy city. Around the tourist areas, even the upper-middle-class residents use the subway into the middle of the night. A visitor to Washington, DC will not stand out in any particular way, because the residents have a similar appearances and levels of wealth.

On the other hand, the typical foreign tourist in Mexico City stands out like a sore thumb due to the less diverse population of Mexico. Also, having enough money to travel overseas immediately makes them wealthier than 90-95% of Mexico City's residents (according to the latest statistics I found, the wealthiest decile of Mexico City's residents has an average per-capita income of only US$11600/year. The median income is much less, about US$1700/year).

In other words, tourists to Mexico City are wealthy, and obviously so.

While it seems common for tourists to be affected by pickpocketing and similar crimes, more serious crimes against tourists seem to be extremely rare. Still, tourists should keep the large and obvious income disparity in mind, especially when they do things that residents with similar income do not do, such as riding public transportation.

Mentioned in this post
San Angel
San Angel
729 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

One happened in Coyoacan and another in Azcapotzalco.

Mentioned in this post
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,696 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico city safe for Americans

Julian - I'm curious as to what you disagree with. I didn't say anything about Mexico City being safe or not safe. Just that murder is accurately reported and that murder rates are on a par with most U.S. cities.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City