We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe in Mexico City

nampa, id
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safe in Mexico City

I have spent a week in August, then again 3-4 days in Mexico City in 2010. My husband was ill the first visit. We stayed near the downtown square, and I went out both daily and at night until about nine by myself (age 61). I felt totally safe. There were always people and policia out. I took my time and looked at the stores, street vendors, and sites for 12 blocks on all sides of the square. When my husband felt better, we went on the metro--including to Frieda Coehlo's house, and to Delores Olmeda's home. Both times wonderful Mexican men helped us and both spoke good English. Both went out of their way to make sure that we were where we wanted to be. The one who went with us to Delores Olmeda's home helped us immensely as we had been given the wrong directions to arrive there easily. Also, last time we were in the City, due to a huge celebration, we arranged for a taxi the night before as we had an early plane. The cab driver, Alexandro, could only get within five blocks of our hotel, walked there, returned my husband's cell, which he had left the night before in the cab and not noticed, and packed our luggage to the cab, and charged the same rate. I want people in the US and elsewhere to go to Mexico as it is a truly wonderful country. Be smart; never drive after dark; go with reputable cab companies; try some Spanish; don't flash money; dump your stereotypes and enjoy these wonderful people and this beautiful country. We were safer here than in most big cities in the US.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 19:58
Level Contributor
156 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe in Mexico City

Thanks for the information...I'm a little concerned about safety in this huge city,

I'm planning to go soon but have my doubts....you mentioned that your husband got sick because of ....the altitude? diarrhea? sob? and how did he cope with it??

nampa, id
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe in Mexico City

My husband has had a pre-existing condition for the last twenty years. We rarely get sick in Mexico: eat only cooked foods (you watch the cooking) from street vendors, be sure restaurants (and most tourist places do) wash fruits and vegetables in iodine solution, and be aware if you go into the country to use purified ice for drinks. Get lomotil at a pharmacia for any diarrhea, cramps, etc., and this will end your symptoms. We have been all over Mexico, generally coastal, and feel very cared for. Be sure you don't drive at night, though you are safe in Mexico City out walking at night until 10 or so, as well as in the small villages as the squares are busy at night. Stay away from areas you aren't familiar with at night, ask your hotel/inn people for suggestions about eating, taxis, safety, etc. Be sure to see the ruins (pyramids), the markets, the National Palace, Diego Rivera's hangouts, Chupultepc Park and museums, and so on. Use the metro if you feel brave or ask your hotel for a good car service or taxis.

toronto
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe in Mexico City

Thanks for sharing. You mention not driving at night ... Would you be concerned about taking a cab from the airport at 2am? Thayt is when our flight arrives.

Thanks

nampa, id
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe in Mexico City

The cabs from the airport are strictly managed. You buy your cab-ride right before you leave the airport and the taxis sit right outside (generally $15-$25 US, but use the ATM to get pesos before you leave the airport). You should be quite safe. Be sure your hotel holds your reservation. Where are you staying? Be sure to have fun and try out some Spanish. They love this though many speak great English, especially in Mexico City. You will also find many ex-pat Americans and Canadians who live there full time. If you need English reading material or books, go to Sandborns, which are common in MC, but the best one is the Blue Tiles Sandborns for a great selection of reading material. (Books are more expensive in MC so plan accordingly.)

Edited: 17 February 2011, 03:28
Minnesota
Level Contributor
519 posts
666 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe in Mexico City

Thanks for your comments. I was glad to read that you felt safe as long as you use common sense. We have been to Mexico four times in the past two and half years and have always felt safe. Our next trip is to be to Mexico City but I must admit we have been postponing it because of the old reports of street crime and air pollution. I am sure there are safe areas and others that are not so safe but in such a large city it becomes easy to venture into a neighborhood where you probably should not go. Our other trips have only been to old colonial cities (primarily to Puebla and Cuernavaca, Merida, Guanajuato and Queretaro, and Oaxaca) and not to beach resorts and we have loved all of them, the people, the music, the food, and how the people have tolerated our feeble attempts to speak Spanish.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe in Mexico City

You're right, unclelouie, there are some rough areas where tourists (or anyone for that matter) should not venture and some of them are really close to the safe tourist sites. Centro Historico is the best example. Most, if not all, guides will help you avoiding them, though. Also, that's why we're here for. :)

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe in Mexico City

My wife and I spent some time in Mexico City last year and found the locals to be wonderful. We did a lot of walking and twice must have had that "lost" look as people came up to us and asked if we needed directions. Once in the subway where a woman walked us all the way to the right part of the subway station (she spoke no english, us no spanish)! I'l never forget her. And another woman who saw us frowning over a terrible tourist map I had downloaded actually gave us a ride in her car to within a couple of blocks of where we weer going. I've never done that in my own home town. We found the subways safe and incredibly inexpensive, and avoided being out too late. All in all, common sense will help anyone avoid situations.

8. Re: Safe in Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 14:36
Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe in Mexico City

Thank you! I am going in July! I am really nervous and excited at the same time! You made me feel a million times better!

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe in Mexico City

Hi People - I am due to go to Mexico City on Business next week!! I am wondering about travel in the City and if there is anything not mentioned above that might help me?

I am a young Male and even I feel sligthly unsure about the trip!!