We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Mexico

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks in Mexico

Hello,

I am a single female budget traveller, 31, coming to Mexico City on March 16, leaving on March 30.

Anyone travelling the same dates?

I am planning to stay some 3-4 days in Mexico City and travel outside. Given the safety considerations - where would you recommend me to go? Maybe down to Oaxaca and San Cristobal? Or rather north?

I am very much into photography, colonial architecture, talking to people (I speak Spanish). I wouldn't mind staying some time at the beach.

Is traveling by buses safe?

I am counting on experienced travellers here to help me set up my itinerary. Any advice more than welcome.

Greetings, Agnieszka

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Mexico

Both south-east and north-west are options.

South: Puebla (3 days), Oaxaca (5 days with many day trips around). Going all the way to San Cristobal and Palenque is also possible but quite a long way.

North: The best colonial cities are Queretaro, Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende (2-3 days in each) - much less traveling on this loop.

Both options are safe and bus travel is fine.

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
San Miguel de Allende
San Miguel de Allende
Guanajuato, Mexico
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Mexico

South - Oaxaca and San Cristobal are about as picture perfect as you can get. Buses are fine.

North - up to San Luis Potosi and San Miguel de Allendo and Querétaro and León and Guanajuato - all very nice but bigger and more transited - all have charm too

However, I would go south in your shoes. - just so pretty to ge there.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
San Luis Potosi
San Luis Potosi
San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Mexico

You likely would love Guanajuato for a couple of days. Probably the prettiest colonial city in MEX. Great photo opportunities, small town, very friendly people, large university, safe.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
Juarez Intl Airport
Juarez Intl Airport
Mexico City, Mexico
San Francisco
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Mexico

Hi, I also am going to Mexico city and seeking 7-8 day adventure out. How is the bus trip to Oaxaca ? IS it better in day or evening or all night?? To get to beach from there is it hard on bus? (Puerto Escondido or Huatulco?) probably pricey to fly? I am traveling with my husband (he is originally born and raised in Mexico City... he has never been to Oaxaca, I was there 15 yrs. ago...... I have never been to Queretaro (we have been to San Miguel and Guanajuato (love them!).

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Mexico

I answered in more detail on your other thread! Some additional info - the bus from Oaxaca to P.E. is a good 8 hours and quite curvy.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
6. Re: 2 weeks in Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 12:31
7. Re: 2 weeks in Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 21:15