We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Loved it! (Long)

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Loved it! (Long)

I think my experience is a bit different from the normal tourist as my SO recently got transferred to Mexico City so I didn't go out to eat that much. Also, I spent several hours a day working from his house so that I wouldn't get fired for taking 10 days off! He is based in Polanco so that is where I started off each exploration.

I was really apprehensive of visiting. It seems like everyone I talked too had a negative story to report - third hand of course - about how dangerous the city is. Plus my Spanish consists of a few words. I mainly rely on my SO who is fluent to translate for me but since he would be working 10 hrs a day, I would have to be on my own. I am here to say that all my fears were basically unfounded. The pollution did get to me and that was the worse thing for me and really the only negative experience. I am from low laying Chicago and the pollution combined with the altitude knocked me for a loop a couple of times. I think that is fair warning to people.

My first full week (3/7-3/11):

Monday - took the Turibus from the Auditorio Nacional. Well worth looking like a tourist. You can get audio translations in English and it was a perfect way to orient myself with the city. Plus being outside in March without freezing? Priceless. I got off at the Zolaco and explored that area for a while. Unforunately the Placio is closed on Mondays so I couldn't see the Diego murals. Was going to back mid-week but never made it. Got back on the Turibus and took it back to the A.N. Really nice loop.

Tuesday - took the Metro to Condesa. I am very used to public transporation being that I don't drive so this was easy to me. I felt safe on it and it was easy to follow the signs from one line to the other. Condesa was easily my favorite area. I spent 3 hours walking around Parque Mexico and looking at the art deco buildings. I know it sounds boring but I really enjoy walking so this was perfect. I ducked in and out of little stores but mostly enjoyed the atmosphere.

Wednesday - walked from my BF's place to the Museo Nacional de Anthropologia. Wow. This place is huge. Next time I'll splurge for the English headphones although about a third of the placards are in English so I was able to follow along. I was only able to hang in for 3ish hours before I got museum'd out. Walked back to my BF's place, ate lunch, and then walked back to go to the Museo de Arte Moderno. Wonderful! I love modern art museums so this was right up my alley. The sculptures in the garden are very cool. Really relaxing and chill.

Thursday - went back to Condesa but this time I got off a stop early where the my guidebook recommended the "cool" stores would be. I found the NACO store, the huge bookstore, and some other ones that were on my personal list to see. Again, spent over 3 hours walking around and just took in the city sights and smells.

Friday - walked to the Museo Rufino Tamayo which was mostly under construction so I only stayed for like 15 mins. On my list for next time. I had time to spare then so I ended up walking all the way up to the Castillo. Best part of the trip. I don't know why it spoke to me but I spent 2 hours there. I think it was the history of the castle plus the really cool museum plus being surrounded by several groups of second graders - I felt like I was on a field trip myself. The views from there are amazing. You could see the mountains that day. After that, I walked back down and spent the rest of the afternoon recapturing my childhood by going to the Zoo and walking around the park.

Saturday - I actually got to walk around Polanco for a bit until I left.

I also went to Malinalco the first weekend I got in which was amazing in itself.

I can say where we eat and stuff if people want but this is getting longer than it needs to be. All in all, I fell in love with the D.F. The people were warm and friendly and didn't mock my stumbling Spanish speaking self. The city is full of surprises and delights to the eye. I am going back in Mid April to visit again. I have so much more to see!! I didn't even get a chance to see Frida's neighborhood or Diego's murals or Zona Rosa or Roma or.....

Mentioned in this post
Auditorio Nacional
Auditorio Nacional
334 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Zona Rosa
Zona Rosa
534 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Loved it! (Long)

Thanks for your great report - sounds like a fun week and you have to return to visit Coyoacán someday (Frida's neighborhood). Thank you for sharing with the group.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,167 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Loved it! (Long)

Thanks. Mexico City is indeed one of the world's great cities and I never tire of it.

Pity the Tamayo was closed: it always has interesting shows. There are many other museums and galleries showing contemporary art.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Loved it! (Long)

I have booked a return trip for mid April and am very excited to go back. I'm hitting up Coyoacan for sure and the rest of the trip is open. It will be only for a long-ish weekend this time around.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,167 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Loved it! (Long)

If it's a weekend, then go to the Dolores Olmedo museum (lots of Firdas and Diegos and beautiful grounds) then hit the trajineras at Xochimilco.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Loved it! (Long)

Terrific! I will be there from (non travel days) Thur - Sun so that works!

6. Re: Trip Report - Loved it! (Long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:16