We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe travel

san antonio,texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
safe travel

Is it safe to begin a trip to mexico city by bus or car anywhere on the texas border?If so what time of day should I begin?Please give concrete answers and not speculation.Any good information would be appreciated thank you!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe travel

I did it once and it is a long and boring 12-14 hour drive. Take a plane. There are issues in Northern Mexico that we all read about from time to time, but traffic is heavy on this entire route.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe travel

I am not sure why you would want to do this either but I will answer the question! It is recommended that you avoid as much of the state of Tamaulipas as possible because there have been fatal incidents involving foreigners using both buses and private cars. Parts of that state are the most dangerous in Mexico at present.

The safest crossing points are Eagle Pass and Laredo. By car get there as early as possible (in daylight). Once you have cleared the checkpoints it is indeed 12-14 hours drive to Mexico City assuming no lengthy stops - tough to do in one day though. There are numerous bus lines that can do the journey as well - www.gruposenda.com is one of the better ones. Generally routes south from there on the toll roads have been trouble free although there has been the occasional isolated incident.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe travel

No, it's not. Tamaulipas is often seeing gruesome crimes. Avoid it at all costs. Other crossing points might be better, but why would you want to take any chances? What if you get lost and end up in a bad area? I would avoid this at all costs and fly instead.

san antonio,texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safe travel

Thank you so much!I Ive driven to Mexico on many ocassions the last I drove from san antonio texas to zacatecas three years ago.I enjoy the freedom of the road and I can stop anywhere I want.Mexico has some of the most beautiful countryside in the world.

5. Re: safe travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 16:17