We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to buy tickets for Mexico City

Sleaford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
When to buy tickets for Mexico City

My family and I are travelling to Mexico City around 11th December. In order to get the best price, is it better to buy the air tickets now or in the autumn? Is it also risky to wait for too long and then we will not find the tickets we want?

Will your answer apply to the USA/Canada only as we are travelling from the UK?

Thanks

Edited: 02 August 2011, 00:00
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

Fares almost always go up. They rarely come down, unless there is a sale. You have just missed a BA sale, and the next one will probably not be until January.

kayak.co.uk is currently showing AF/KLM as offering the cheapest fares at around £600 from LHR but it might depend on when you want to return. Fares are always higher over Christmas and NY. You can create a fare alert and monitor the situation for a while, but my hunch would be to buy now.

Sleaford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

I have found, through Expedia, tickets that average £574 including the discounts for children, should I rush to buy them? It seem like a good deal to me but i di not know if this is onlyh because my kids are 3 and 8 years old.

Yes I think the cheapest is always going to be Heathrow.

Do people know if, when there is a stop over these days, say in Paris or Madrid, you have to get out of the plane, collect your luggage, go through customs, go to another terminal, check in, board the plane, or just sit in the same plane and wait for the new passengers to board? Because I really hate the rigmarole of changing planes.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

BA flies non-stop several times per week to Mexico City.

If you are connecting in Barajas or Charles de Gaulle, you are doing so on Air France, Aeromexico or Iberia (or a US airline with another stop) and then you will get off the plane that took you from London and go to the gate for the transcontnental flight. You check your bags through at LHR and probably do have to pass security again in Spain or France..

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

Outside the US, CDG is probably the worst airport to transit when on a long-haul flight. It is the main reason I no longer fly AF. You have to tarnsfer terminals and the runway for the flight to London is a 30 minute taxi from the terminal. Avoid if possible. Schiphol is a doddle by comparison.

There will defintely be security checks when you transfer. It will not be the same plane on the two sectors but your bags will be checked through (unless travelling via the US where you have to go through immigration and obtain an ESTA prior to travel).

Be aware that fares on Expedia are often more expensive than buying direct from the airline. Never never consider buying a ticket that involves a transfer between airlines. Then you will almost certainly have to collect your bags and check in again. This is hardly worth the few quid saved. Besides, if your first flight arrives late and you miss your connection you will have to buy another ticket. This almost happened to me once due to storms over Houston!

Edited: 04 August 2011, 08:56
Sleaford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

Thank you, useful feed-back here.

Yes I have changed planes in Charles de Gaulle and it was hell. And I will do anything to avoid going via the USA as I can't stand the rude and annoying customs and immigration officers there, plus having to get a visa just to change planes! Fortunately, there are some good prices on KLM tickets and I like Schiphol.

That is why I was aking the question what it is like today.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

I notice you have another thread going on the Cancun forum. If Cancun is where you want to go (as opposed to Mexico City), I'm pretty sure that British Airways flies there non-stop direct (although it may be from Gatwick rather than Heathrow).

I could easily be wrong (hey, it's happened before) but it might be worth checking out and avoiding the hassle of a connecting flight.

HTH

Sleaford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

Llisa,

What happens is we are going to both Mexico City and Cancun, but I think I have found a way to buy tickets from Heathrow to Cancun and from Mexico City to Heathrow for the price of a return ticket to Mexico City but I think KLM are associated with Air France and an American airline so I have to be careful not to end up being sent through CDG or the USA on one of the trips.

This way we only need to buy tickets from Cancun to Mexico City

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

You can actually fly non-stop to Cancun and non-stop back from Mexico City on British Airways at a cost no more than a simple return ticket.

9. Re: When to buy tickets for Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 08:16