We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit Visa Question

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Exit Visa Question

Greetings:

US citizen traveling through Mexico to a 3rd country.

I will be arriving in Mexico City from Tijuana....I will need to stay overnight in Mexico City and then catch a morning flight the next day to the 3rd country (about 12-14 hours after I arrive at Mexico City Airport).

Question--where would I pick up/use my exit visa from, in Tijuana or Mexico City?....with my leaving the following morning, am I considered "in transit". Just want to clarify the details......upon arrival in Mexico City from Tijuana will I have to through a Customs inspection??...etc.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exit Visa Question

When you cross the border you should get a FMM immigration form. This proves you are legally in Mexico. There will be somewhere at the border to get one or you may be able to buy one at Tijuana airport (it costs around 22 USD). To board your flight in Tijuana you only need your passport and your ticket but when you check-in at Mexico city you will be asked for your FMM - that is where you need it. Anyone transiting Mexico must purchase an FMM without exception.

Note: It's not really an Exit Visa - it's actually a visa waiver form giving you the legal right to stay in Mexico for a fixed amount of time as a tourist without a visa. It is similar to the Visa Waiver forms provided when Europeans enter the U.S.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exit Visa Question

Thanks....on one trip I neglected to get one in TJ and it was a real pain in the rear...I had to run all over Mexico City airport to get the form, then I had to exchange US $ for pesos to pay for it and I almost ended up missing my connecting flight...just wanted to confirm I needed to pick it up in TJ--not Mexico City--and you answered my question.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exit Visa Question

Steve:

I just checked and it now appears I can catch a same day flight to the 3rd country I wish to visit on the day I am looking to travel without having to stay overnight in Mexico City !!

I can catch the direct flight to Mexico City from a US city...here's the question--I take it I would have to purchase the FMM in Mexico City?...if so, is it easy to find the office that sells this form (I also would be traveling on Christmas day)....if you think this is risky, can I stop down to Tijuana anytime and purchase this form either from a travel agent or must I go to the airport??

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exit Visa Question

When you fly from a U.S. city the cost of the FMM will be incorporated into the cost of the ticket as part of the "taxes". You will receive an FMM form on the plane which you fill in prior to landing - hand it in to immigration in Mexico City (they return part of it). Then just hand the rest of it back as you leave on your next flight. That way it's a lot simpler. (You only ever have to buy a FMM separately when crossing by land.)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exit Visa Question

Steve:

Thanks...last but not least--how about on the way back....I will be flying directly from the 3rd country into Mexico City and then continuing "in transit" a few hours later to Tijuana. Rather than going through Mexican customs in Mexico City, it is my understanding I do it in TJ....I do not recall having been given an FMM from the 3rd country in the past (many years ago--Latin American country that I prefer not to name)....so the question is, does it work the same way in reverse coming back OR FMM is only required when I leave from US or catch plane in TJ???

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exit Visa Question

It will work in the same way in reverse. You should clear customs and immigration in Mexico City as it's your first "port-of-entry". (This rule has only been in effect for 2-3 years - you used to be able to transit Mexico City airport without going through immigration.) Your airline should give you the FMM form - if they run out you can just pick one up in the immigration hall in Mexico City airport. There is no extra cost.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
London
Level Contributor
48 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exit Visa Question

Is there a place to buy this exit ticket at Tapachula on the Guatemala border? I shall be arriving early morning from the Oaxaca coast to change buses in Tapachula en route Xela. Do I have to wiat till the banks open and where do I get the form from please anyone

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
8. Re: Exit Visa Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 10:17