We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling around Mexico city

Providence, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Topic
Traveling around Mexico city

Hi all,

A friend and I are flying into Mexico City in mid March and are staying for 2 weeks. We are looking to tour the city and and surrounding area. We're trying to avoid the typical touristy things and would like to try and spend a lot of time with the locals.

Any recommendations on how to do this safely? Thanks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

The metro is a perfectly safe and cheap way to travel around the city during the day. You’ll hear numerous horror stories about kidnappings in taxis that you flag in the street – they’re not unheard of but I have more family in DF than I could name in a sensible sentence and the stories always seem to happen to a friend of a friend. That said DF is like any big city, you need to have your wits about you and apply common sense. To get off the tourist track try checking out Pro Hogar a market neighbourhood in delegacion Azcapotzalco. You’ll find amazing food and a mad collection of stores.

NC
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

To add to this thread, I'll be in DF for a week this month. I'd be very interested in more suggestions for specific metro stops with interesting areas around them for walking and photos.

willofjrh - thanks for that tip, it's now on my list.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

Metro Bellas Artes for sure

NC
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

Justin - added to my list, thanks.

Providence, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

Thanks everyone. Can you recommend some good hostels in Mexico City?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
107 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

Also Metro Zócalo -- you come up right by the Cathedral and very close to the Templo Mayor. Not to be missed.

Providence, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

Looks like we should be looking at the following places:

Pro Hogar

Metro Bellas Artes

Metro Zócalo

Polanco

We're also looking for some places we can spend a few days in around Mexico City. Valle de Bravo was recommended. Any other places? Still looking for recommended hostels as well.

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

I'm staying at Hostel Amigo Suites in a few weeks. My friend stayed there last year and recommended it to me. Friendly hostel with decent rooms. They've good good reviews on here so check them out!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

Metro Bellas Artes and Metro Zocalo are very close. What I'd suggest is to get off the subway at Bellas Artes, take a walk through the Alameda park, visit Bellas Artes (the building itself) and then walk towards Zocalo, where you can visit the cathedral, templo mayor and the murals of the presidential palace. Something like that.

NC
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling around Mexico city

I am using Google maps street view to explore a bit. It looks like a walk from the Viveros metro stop to Jardin Plaza Hidalgo, and then the surrounding area would be interesting. Is that as nice an area as it appears? Are there specific places around there you would recommend?

Or any other picturesque neighborhoods?

Thanks.