We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit through Benito Juárez International Airport

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Transit through Benito Juárez International Airport

I have a few questions to try and determine how rushed my transit will be. I am arriving at 16:04 from LAX (hopefully on time) and leaving at 19:30 to Cancun. Given that I am arriving at Terminal1 and leaving from Terminal 2 in experienced opinion will I have enough time to do the following:

1) Will have to collect my bag, clear customs and then re-check my bag.

2) Would ideally like to hit an ATM to get local currency..question is how long are the queues at the ATM's.

3) I am assuming that I will use the Air Train between terminals..If not does the bus take a lot longer.

4) My read of Terminal 1 is that I have to go downstairs to collect my bag and then back upstairs to customs...This obviously takes more time. How quick/slow is bagged delivery from the landing plane. 5 minutes...30 minutes.

5) If the ATM is to slow how easy is it to change usd to smaller mexican or would it be better to do it at LAX..don't really want to go this route as the rates for smaller bills is less than for larger bills.

6) I am bringing my smartphone with, lots of useful travel apps on it, so would like to purchase a sim card at the airport...is this possible.

7) I am landing on a Friday, 27 April so was wondering is this a very busy time for the airport.

8) Lastly is the signage inside the airport only in Mexican or do they also do English.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Sir Winston Churchill's
££££, International, European, British
Zefiro
££ - £££, Mexican, Contemporary
Eloise - Mexico
££££, French, European, Contemporary
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit through Benito Juárez International Airport

You certainly should have time, even if lines are long.

1) It sounds like you are not flying the entire trip on the same airline. Yes, you will have to clear Immigration, collect your bag and clear Customs in Terminal 1 and then re-check your bag in Terminal 2 (better option even if you are on Aeromexico which has the option to leave it at Terminal 1)

2) There are numerous ATM's outside of Customs in both Terminals. In Terminal 1, they are more convenient. In Terminal 2, the banks tend to be in the hallway at the far end of arrivals leading to the parking area. Lines of no more than 1 or 2 people if any.

3) Air Train or bus is the same - There are not frequent frequencies as seen at say Miami or Houston between terminals and you have to show your ticket/boarding pass so have that handy.

4) You arrive on one level and go downstairs to Immigration and then baggage claim and customs are on the same floor (assuming you do not come from Central/South America or Cuba where you may be diverted upstairs to use a hallway to get to another section. Extra dilligence is spent on luggage and passengers coming from the south or Cuba. Luggage is slower too - i only carry on when I go to Brazil or Panama - it can take an hour for luggage to arrive. If coming from USA or Canada or Europe, baggage claim is generally fast and when you arrive you are still a couple of hours before the crush of jumbo jet arrivals from Europe - all the European flights seem to arrive in the same time frame - British, Air France, Lufthansa, Iberia, KLM - and at times it is crowded and slow but you are gettng in before that.

5) ATM is best bet and best rate - but there are many casas de cambio at both terminals inside and outside of the boarding area - changing US$ is a non-event and normal. You will also find ATM's in whatever Mexican city or beach resort you are heading too and you can use your dollars in just about every airport to hire a taxi to your hotel so don't worry about this too much - if you are short on time, you can always visit an ATM that your hotel directs you to.

Have fun and relax - it will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
United States
United States
North America
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit through Benito Juárez International Airport

All the above advice is correct but to clarify/expand:

2) ATMs are everywhere and there is never a line. This is your quickest route to get cash. Do not get pesos at LAX as they charge you a small fortune in fees.

3) The maximum wait time for an inter-terminal train is officially 10 minutes 45 seconds.

4) I believe you clear immigration at the same level as your arrival gate and then go downstairs to pick up your bags and clear customs. That's how I remember it and how it's shown on the interactive map at www.aicm.com.mx. You should get your bags within 30 minutes of landing - normally the bags are coming out once you've cleared immigration which can take a while.

6) There are shops where you can get a sim - best to try in Terminal 1 (as long as you don't have too many bags with you!). Ask for a Telcel shop.

7) The big rush is usually around 6 when all the European flights start arriving so it should be less busy around 4.

8) Signs are in english/spanish and use the standard airport icons - it will be hard to get lost!

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit through Benito Juárez International Airport

If memory serves me correctly, both terminals are in the same building. One terminal is a continuation of the other. [t's quite easy to walk.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit through Benito Juárez International Airport

No, the terminals are 3km apart and it's not walkable.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit through Benito Juárez International Airport

Thank you for the feedback

6. Re: Transit through Benito Juárez International Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:40