We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothes shopping in mexico city

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bali
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
clothes shopping in mexico city

Hi

coming to mexico city to do some clothes shopping.........i dont like shoping much but i am desperate any suggestions for good areas shopping malls where i can by at middle of the road prices ie no more than 50 dollars for a pair of trousers

thanks for any help

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

There are dozens of shopping malls all over the city. However, price and variety is better in the U.S. You also find better sales in the US.

Suburbia is like K-Mart in the USA and owned by Wal-Mart. We also have Wal-Mart. Soriana, Comercial Mexicana and Chedraui are supermarkets that also have clothing areas. Wal-Mart sells clothign too. We also have Sears, which is the same as Sears in the US with higher prices.

More upscale are Liverpool (like a Macy's) and fancier is El Palacio de Hierro and Saks Fifth Avenue.

Pants at US$50 or less are probably found at all of them - the fancier ones have sections for Tommy and Nautica and their own labels which are in the US$50 range. They also sell fancier more expensive designers.

We Mexicans go to Houston or Miami or San Antonio to go shopping. It is cheaper and there is more variety.

Coming from Bali to Mexico to shop for clothes is a long trip.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
515 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

PS- If you are from Bali then I must say that we loved being there, especially Ubud. We spent three months in Indonesia a few years ago and absolutely enjoyed it save most of the large cities.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

"We Mexicans go to Houston or Miami or San Antonio to go shopping. It is cheaper and there is more variety."

Which Mexicans you're talking about?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

"We Mexicans go to Houston or Miami or San Antonio to go shopping. It is cheaper and there is more variety."

Yeah, wtf?!

First of all with this phrase you sounded like a mexican from the high middle class but when you mentioned that you can buy clothes at Wal Mart... WTF?!

I'm not saying is bad to buy there but of course their quality isn't great and generally only lower class people buy their clothes there.

And although yes many mexicans go to San Antonio (although they just go for Outlets, not the richest) some other go to Houston, and of course some others to Miami, NYC, Los Angeles and even Paris and London.

But the truth is, there are some great places.

You want to check out at least these malls:

CC. Santa Fe

The largest in all Mexico and home to one of the two Saks in all Latin America. You will find Palacio de Hierro, which is a great place.

Antara

Large outdoor shopping mall, you will definitely find some expensive boutiques and it's a great atmosphere.

Paseo Interlomas

Is just new, and you can find from stores like Payless all the way to Prada. The first GAP and FOREVER 21 in Mexico will be here.

Send me a message for any doubts.

BLOG: http://my-tripss.blogspot.com

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

I always shop when i am in LA because for the same prices as here in Zacatecas or SLP stuff is better quality, you get more & pants have long legs, smaller butt. And I do know more than a few mexicanas who do special shopping trips to San Antonio and Miami - I think its their hobby - they are not superrich, middle & high middle. Fun fact: Mexicans buy more designer clothes than any other nationality. (us New Yorkers buy knock-offs or consignment, we like a bargain).

thanks for the DF mall tips, and good luck Jeannie from Bali.

Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

There's an interesting site to get nice offers and it's called Punta Norte. It´s a mall located just outside the city near to Ciudad Satelite. This mall runs an outlet concept and you may find very interesting deals specially on designer brands (Guess, Carolina Herrera, Tommy, Gap, United Colors of Bennetton, Gucci, Prada, Adolfo Dominguez, etc.) There are lots of stores all of the offering some kind of disccount.

My guess is you may want to spend a day there and I'm sure you'll find nice deals.

There's another outlet near Toluca, but I've been there last week and do not recommend it. There are not as much deals as you may find in Punta Norte Outlets.

Here's the webiste of the shopping center: http://www.premiumoutlets.com.mx/

bali
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

glad you enjoyed ubud i lived there for a long time now live in mexico ubud has become a horrible dirty busy place full of traffic and expensive many people are moving out

bali
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

thanks all for your help.............i am not mexican nor american and the thought of going to america just to shop does not turn me on at all............i have just got here to stay for quite a while after 3 years of backpacking and decided it would now be a good idea to have more than just the basic clothes hence mexico city

hopefully i will be lucky

9. Re: clothes shopping in mexico city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:42