We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

Valley of Heart's...
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

We have a long layover of about 10 hours in Mexico City on June 12th and would like very much to visit the Piramidi di Teotihuacan. Can anyone who has visited on a layover pls kindly show us how we can get transportation from Mexico City International Airport to the Piramidi and back to the airport? How long will we need to visit the Piramidi inc. travel time? Can we buy tickets there with credit card so we don't have to exchange for Pesos? Any help you could give us is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. Thank U in advance.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

if you use the search function for this forum, you will find several previous threads on this subject. You can arrange a cab to take you all the way, or take one to the northern bus terminal and take the bus from there.

You will need pesos, but they are easy to obtain at an ATM at the airport.

You should allow 2/3 hours at the ruins, as they are very spread out.

The Spanish is 'pirámides' (accent on the a) You are using Italian I think!

Edited: 28 May 2012, 11:49
Valley of Heart's...
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

Hi Londinense, thank you for your reply. Sorry I misspelled the Spanish name for pyramids but I ONLY discovered about the pyramids yesterday from the Things to Do in Mexico City and TripAdvisor listed the "Piramidi di Teotihuacan" as #2 on the list so I just went off of that. I followed your advice about searching for Teotihuacan but all the threads were very old w/ the latest being in 2010 or so. Basically, I DO know that I need to buy taxi tickets for the zone I would like to travel to from MEX airport but I don't know if any of the zones would be to go to the Pyramids in Teotihuacan and I would like to know if I can hire the cab to wait for us there while we hike to take us back or it would be just as easy to get a cab from the Pyramids back to the airport. We travel with 2 children aged 10 and 13 so we would like to be safe and any help anyone who has visited the Pyramids by taxi from Benito Juarez airport would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

Thanks for pointing out the error in the Spanish in the TA listings. We'll have to see if we can get that changed!

Teotihuacan is outside the city limits, so I am pretty sure it's not on the list of zones for taxis. With two youngsters along, you are certainly best advised to do it by private vehicle. You could probably negotiate a round-trip with a wait with one of the taxi companies, but you might require Spanish to do that. Otherwise, it's a case of trying to find a private driver who'd meet you at the airport etc. Once again, try searching to see if anyone else has recommended one in the past. Or fingers crossed that someone will respond to this thread with a recommendation. Sorry I can't be more helpful and good luck.

Valley of Heart's...
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

Thank you Londinense. Yes, I just hope that someone who has recommendation for a trustworthy driver will respond to let me know if this can be done. It'd be great if someone who has actually gone to the Pyramids using a private driver from the airport would see my question and respond.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

Once, we arranged a private tour in Mexico through Gray Line tours. Gray Line is best known for its packaged, scheduled tours, but they can also help you find a private driver. The drivers on our tour were excellent and spoke English.

If you want to make advance arrangements, I would call them directly (http://www.grayline.com/contact-gray-line) and see if they can arrange a private driver for 1 day in Mexico, picking you up at the airport. Don't call and ask for a Teotihuacan tour -- they'll get confused and try to sell you a ticket for a scheduled tour...

Valley of Heart's...
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

Hi jcs27,

Thank you so much for your advice. I will call Grayline at the website you gave me. Actually, I guess it's not so important that we have a private driver for a day unless it's significantly cheaper than hire a taxi for roundtrip from the airport. I just want to know if I could buy roundtrip ticket for a taxi to take us from the airport to the Piramides of Teotihuacan unless I can find a private driver. I contacted all the taxis recommended as official taxis at the airport through the link on TripAdvisor and today heard back from Porto Taxi that I could just go to their counter at the airport to buy roundtrip tickets for the Pyramids which is exactly what I was asking for. But I am still double-checking with her to see if she could give me a rate quote for this. It could be very expensive.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
105 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

Teotihuacan is a must-see... Even when I tell my friends here in Texas about it, I get looks of disbelief... people are clueless about the amazing ancient ruins just a few hundred miles from us. The Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan is the second largest pyramid on earth, second only to the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt.... but you can (and MUST) *climb* the Pyramid of the Sun! You cannot touch the pyramids in Egypt.

8. Re: How to go to Piramidi di Teotihuacan from MEX airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:17