We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Zone for couples to stay?

Sarnia Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Zone for couples to stay?

Which is the best zone for a couple to stay in? Close to restaurants and shopping. We will be in Mexico city in August. Thank you very much.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Zone for couples to stay?

well my friend if you want to be close to the best restaurants and shopping of mexico city try Santa Fe but it is a little far from the tourist attraction but is a great and safe.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Zone for couples to stay?

The hotel Distrito Capital in the same building have 3 excellents restaurants. And it is less and a block far from the "Centro Comercial Santa Fe" the biggest mall in Mexico and the 2 laggest in Latin America.

In the Westin Santa Fe inside the same complex there is a small shopping center called ParkPlaza which have like 5 excellent restaurants a Premium movie theater and the next building there is a mall called Samara.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Zone for couples to stay?

Santa Fe is the LAST area of DF I'd recommend to visitors, unless they have business there. It is basically a business district, bland and uninteresting, miles from anywhere and virtually inaccessible by public transport.

Polanco is where the upscale hotels are, with many of the designer stores as well as several shopping malls. Centro is liked by many tourists for its proximity to the major sites, and there are more good restaurants opening all the time. The trendiest areas are Condesa and Roma: not so many hotels, which makes them less obviously touristy, but very lively at night, with excellent eating opportunities. Depending on your budget, good places to stay include Hotel Condesa DF, the Red Tree House and Hotel Milano.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Zone for couples to stay?

I would agree that Polanco is better for a tourist who wants to be near shopping and restaurants. It is more central and close to Condesa and Roma, as well. You are also very close to cultural sites and the first stop of the Turibus.

I live near Santa Fe and do stay in my neighborhood most of the time and love the various restaurants and shopping options within minutes of my home. I remember when the main centro comercial opened. Now, there is no reason to leave. However, there is next to no public transport and it is not a friendly area for walking - drivers are aggressive. You need to drive everyplace or call a taxi. It is great for a weekday business meeitng stay or to stay a weekend if you have a personal event such as a wedding. A new JW Marriott Santa Fe just opened to join the new Presidente Intercontinental, Novotel, Sheraton Suites, Camino Real, Westin, Fiesta American, Fiesta Inn. Arcadia Suites and Distrito Capital. The hotels and buildings nearby have award winning restaurants and a couple have nice spas.

The thing is you get all this in Polanco too, but are more in the center of the action in Polanco and nearer to the musuems, etc. Santa Fe is a business district and residential district. It does not offer much for tourists.

Also shopping in Santa Fe is not that different from the U.S. with lots of upscale chain stores that you find in every U.S. mall. At a smaller shopping center very close to my home, Arcos Bosques, the first Crate & Barrel in Mexio will open soon. If it was not for variety and price, it would not be necessary to shop in the US anymore.

Have a great trip.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Zone for couples to stay?

I would recomend Polanco as well although Santa Fe has things to offer, I think Polanco is more suited to touring the City. Condessa is another very lovely area. Enjoy!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Zone for couples to stay?

Polanco or Condesa would be my choices. Santa Fe is good for locals, but there's not much for tourists there. Locals go there, eat and then leave. As a tourist you might want to do much more. Plus, there's nothing in Santa Fe you cannot do or find in a more centric area. Shopping, dining, drinking are all well covered.

7. Re: Best Zone for couples to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 20:18