We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City Cemeteries

Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mexico City Cemeteries

I enjoy visiting cemeteries when I travel. To date my research has uncovered three cemeteries in DF that look worth a visit:

- Mexican City National

- Panteon de Dolores

- Panteon de San Fernando

Would appreictae views on the above and recomemndations for others as well.

Many thanks

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City Cemeteries

A varied answer - you won't find cemetary tours that common here as they are in Paris or New York. Come November 1-2 and see our altars to the dead, keep in mind the history of many of the pyramid sites in the country. You can go to some cemeteries, not far from Mexico City, November 1-2 and sleep in them as is tradition as family members of the departed sleep in them those nights.

Monumento de la Revolucion in the middle of Reforma is also the mausuleum of heroes of the 1910 Revolution and you can visit inside.

Panteon Dolores is huge and I believe the largest cemetary in Latin America. A lot of people seem to be buried in Patneon Frances, I guess I have been to quite a few burials there.

For a buff like you, no other city has a Metro stop (subway) called Panteones (Cemetaries) - it is on Line 2 and puts you right in front of the Panteon Britanica and near the Panteon Español and Panteon Americano. What more could someone who likes to visit cemetaries ask for? The symbol for the Metro stop are a cross and some bones.

There are mummies in a museum just outside of town in Guanajuato and you see some mummified remains and bones in the National Anthropology Museum, which has a lot of focus on graves.

2. Re: Mexico City Cemeteries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 03:18