We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca or SCLC - Xmas/New Year itinerary suggestion?

London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca or SCLC - Xmas/New Year itinerary suggestion?

Hi

I am on a 2 week trip from Mexico city to Yucatan Riviera and back to Mexico city to catch my flight back home. I first thought of this rough itinerary looking at guide books:

Start - 24 Dec'12

End - 06 Jan'13

Mexico City - 3/4 days

-> Oaxaca - 2 days

-> SCLC - 1 day

-> Palenque - 1 day

-> Merida/Chichitza - 1/2 days

-> Playa/Cozumel - 3 days

-> Fly back to Mexico city to catch flight back home

Of course while researching for buses/flights and things to do at all the above mentioned places, I know I am being too optimistic and over-enthusiastic .

So my question to the experts is:

1. If I skip Oaxaca, will I really miss something which I wont find in SCLC or Merida or Mexico city ? Because if I miss Oaxaca, it buys me lot of quality time at other destinations due to long bus transfer time from Oaxaca to SCLC and infavorable flight timings.

2. Or should I miss SCLC instead of Oaxaca and straight away go to Palenque from Oaxaca (via Villahermosa?)

3. And How different are these places in their nature - Oaxaca, SCLC, Campeche and Merida ? Guide book says all are colonial cities but how different is it in feel for a tourist ?

4. Is there anything experts would like to suggest me on the itinerary, like first fly to Cancun from Mexico as it will be New Years time and then travel back to Mexico city through all points.

Thanks

Adi

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC - Xmas/New Year itinerary suggestion?

Skip Merida. Do Chichen Itza on your way to Cancun / Playa del Carmen (skip Cozumel unless you love diving). It is halfway there just about and there are small hotels in Chichen ifza if needed.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC - Xmas/New Year itinerary suggestion?

Coming from London have you considered flying into Mexico City and out of Cancun to save time? (BA have non-stop flights to both or, to save a bit of money, you can fly through the U.S.)

You are doing about 30 hours of bus travel - that would be too much for me in just 14 days.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC - Xmas/New Year itinerary suggestion?

Oaxaca is special. Very different from San Cristobal. Consider doing what Steve suggests. Coming from England you have maybe no idea of the vastness of this continent. Give yourself some time to enjoy these great places.

4. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC - Xmas/New Year itinerary suggestion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 10:18