We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to figure out itineary for Christmas time

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to figure out itineary for Christmas time

Hi. I'll be in Mexico City from 12/22 departing 12/27. I'm interested in museums, historical sights, markets, shops, restaurants, street food, etc. I know coming around the holiday time will present certain challenges as some places will be closed.

I'm having a bit of a conundrum as to what I should plan for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. From reading some threads it seems that some museums will be open but will close early. Would it be best to go to the museums on those days? Or would I be better off trying to plan Teotihucacan on either of those two days? I'm concerned that I have a hard time finding an English-speaking guide on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
680 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to figure out itineary for Christmas time

Hi msneedle ,

Museums and sights are rarely closed on holidays as we get many tourists. Teotihuacan is open everyday and most museums close only on Monday, so you should visit them early and like that they won't be crowded.

On dec 31st many restaurants organize special dinners

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to figure out itineary for Christmas time

is there any place to go salsa dancing, especially on New Year's Eve? What are the costs? Are there any fireworks or street celebrations?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
680 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to figure out itineary for Christmas time

Hi,

about the clubs to go dancing salsa some should be open and are booked ahead and they can be expensive due to cover fee and required to buy a bottle per table . As for fireworks the local government hasn't announced a program yet. New year celebration here is still a family thing , we have dinner at home and maybe go out with friends to dance and now more restaurants and clubs are opening...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to figure out itineary for Christmas time

If you are there on Monday, it is a great day to go to Teotihuacan with most museums closed. I would concentrate one day on the sights near the zocalo, one on Chapultepec Park and the Museo de Anthropologico and then decide what interests you most beyond that.

5. Re: Trying to figure out itineary for Christmas time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:17