We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City visit next week - Revolution Day events

Cologne, Germany
1 post
Save Topic
Mexico City visit next week - Revolution Day events

Hello,

We are visiting Mexico City starting this Sunday 18 November for one week. While doing my reading about the city to prepare for the visit, I found out that November 20 is the Revolution Day (and seems like it is moved to November 19 this year?).

I was just wondering how we should take it into account for planning of our programme - are there any special events on that day that we should plan to see? Will the businesses (museums, shops, restaurants etc.) be closed or not?

Thank you very much in advance for advise!!!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City visit next week - Revolution Day events

Monday, November 19 is a holiday when most offices, schools, etc. will close so traffic will be bearable. I would assume there will be events around the Monumento de la Revolución. Museums tend to close Monday anyway. The pyramids, churches and other places will be open as normal. Also, stores will be running "buen fin" all weekend. That is Mexico's version of Black Friday and there are sales, free parking, etc. in general. Last year was the first year of the program and it was quite successful in getting people to start their Christmas shopping early. Thus, stores will be more croweded than normal.

Tampa, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City visit next week - Revolution Day events

There are tourists kiosks at many places, ie. airport, zocalo; sometimes useful; most of the time they don't have much information. On every Wednesday a new "Tiempo Libre" comes out and available at sidewalk newspaper vendors all over the city about a dollar or so. Also check out the website of the city of mexico.gob. A little poorly done, but usually lots of information about cultural events.

Metro, metrobus, tren ligero, mini-buses etc. are usually running on schedule. But the pedestrian downtown areas may be packed with tourists.

I have spent many, many months in DF(distrito federal) as the locals call it over many different years. Must sees are the Zocalo, Palacio Belles Artes (usually awesome classical music concerts, sometimes cheap or free), Sanbornes ( a chain of retail/slash restaurants, the most beautiful is the Casa de Azuelos?-Spanish colonial building covered in tiles and the inside is absolutely breathtaking. Many of these buildings have Diego Rivera Murals as well as the Diego Rivera Museum at one end of Parque Almeda. This particular Sanborn's (there are many, many of them) is located on the corner of Cinco de Mayo street just off Eje Central(near Belles Artes and about 10 block walk from the Zocalo).

If you are into museums, your guide will have them all listed. Most museums are closed Mondays as well as park chapultepec.. Parque Chapultepec is a New York City type Central Park with lots of world class museums, zoo, botanic gardens, etc. If the holiday is Monday, you might want to do something else, because Df can be jammed with people during holidays. Suggest you take that day for a day trip to the fantastic Aztec ruins just north of downtown.(Can't remeber the name and all my maps and tour guides are with a friend in DF). I have been to Machu Picchu in Peru and of course Tikal in Guatemala and these ruins are as fantastic. You can get there by tour or for a fraction of the cost, use public transportation. Especially if you climb the top of the Pyriamids of the Sun and the Moon.

Everyone goes up to the top of the Torre Latino, kind of Empire State thing. It is located on a pedestrian only street and on this street you will usually find all types of buskers, sometimes city sponsored events, etc.

Try to get to at least one market if you can, but again be sure your valuables are safe-not major crime, but lots of pick-pocketing. A beautiful view is from the outdoor cafe or even from the windows of the upper floors of Sears Department store which is just across from Palacio Belles Artes alongside Parque Almeda (I just returned from DF in May and the park was closed for renovation. ) Of course a must do is to walk Avenida Reforma and go up in El Monumento del Madre, see all the impressive monuments and statues, and of course the iconic Monument of the Angel.

At the Zocalo is a good 2 decker tour bus that you can get a real good view and info about Mexico and u can hop on and off when and where you want. It may be cold so if you sit on the top deck of the bus it will be cold. I arrive in DF Nov 16 and if you would like I would be happy to meet you somewhere and show you some of my favorite places. It is an absolutely amazing city, world class in many respects. Most transportation is safe. Avoid travel during rush hour and keep your valuables hidden inside!!!

Madonna will be performing when you are there, so if you want, you might find tickets!!

3. Re: Mexico City visit next week - Revolution Day events

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 14:18