We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

Hola, We are at Hotel Catedral that nite- any suggestions within 3-4 blocks for good reasonable food or a later drink with music? Gracias

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

Head to Hotel Downtown on Isabel La Católica - you will find a rooftop bar with snacks, gourmet and kitsch shops on the 1st floor and three restaurants on the ground floor, including Azul Centro and Padrino's.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

Cafe de Tacuba has 'strolling minstrels' plying the tables. It's open Sunday evenings but would be livelier I suspect at lunchtime (ie 4pm) since most Mexicans take their main meal then. Many restaurants close on Sunday evenings.

La Opera Bar had an elderly combo when I was there a few years ago, but I am not sure of its opening hours (nothing on the website!)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

We stayed at the Hotel Catedral recently and loved it. Ask for. Room on the top three floors if possible for city views. I second Cafe Tacuba as a good choice. Although there is no music, I also recommend the rooftop bar at the Holiday Inn for a great view of the Zocalo and Catedral. For breakfast try Cafe Popular or Bisquets de Obregon.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

Cafe Tacuba is nice, or just go to a show at Bellas Artes. You don´t mention your demographic - young? retired? Anything remotely young I would just say take a cab to Condesa and Roma - that is where the nightlife is. If you are more upscale take a cab to Polanco, there are great restaurants and nightlife for the monied class. More racy and gay, go to Zona Rosa. To my taste the Centro Historico is very dead at night.

Cabs these days in DF are safe, and cheap. Why be in one of the coolest cities of the world and be stuck?

http://www.chilango.com/

illinois
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

We are older and were hoping just to walk but your suggestions are helpful- gracias

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

Waking from the Hotel Catedral you can also walk down the pedestrian street Francisco Madero for moderate food options nearby. Try the rooftop bar of the Holiday Inn for a nightcap with a fabulous view of the Catedral by night.

7. Re: Sunday nite in Centro: Food/music?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:15