We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Allocation Among Cities

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Time Allocation Among Cities

Hi all:

I will be in Mexico City at the end of this month and will have five full days or 5.5 days if I am stretching it. I will be flying in from LAX early morning. I have been to Mexico twice before including a four day stay in Mexico City. I am not sure what makes the most sense in terms of time allocation.

I am plan to visit Puebla (2 nights), Cuernacava (1 night), Mexico City DF (2 nights).

My questions:

1: Should I stay in Cueravaca for the night or make it a day trip since it is only 1.25 hours by bus from Mexico City DF.

2: Is two nights in Puebla long enough?

3: I am also wondering if it is possible to catch a bus from the airport to either Cueravaca or Puebla upon arrival. I intend to stay in Mexico DF towards the tail end of my trip as it will be easier to get to the airport.

Many thanks in advance.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Allocation Among Cities

You can catch a bus from the airport directly to Puebla or Cuernavaca. Personally I don't like Cuernavaca (it's got far too overgrown) and Puebla is much the same as DF but smaller.. Have a look at somewhere different like Tlaxcala (for a bit of variety!) which can easily be combined with Puebla .

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Allocation Among Cities

Hi: thanks very much for the info.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
36 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Allocation Among Cities

You should be aware that "Semana Santa" 2 weeks break is the spring vacation for us Mexicans (March 24th begins the Holy Week and next Easter Week). This gives you unique opportunities and threats at the same time, because Thursday to Sunday of Holy week literally millions of Mexico City inhabitants ("chilangos") are out to the beaches and visiting family. So IT IS the best time to visit the city. No traffic and clean air!! At the same time, you could find that most of the cities with any touristic attraction are crowded and thus hotel options could be expensive. Two nights in Puebla is OK. (one day in the city, othe you can go to Cholula, and before coming back you can go to Tlaxcala, plenty of attractions there. Then you can spend one day in Cuernavaca visiting the city downtown and local attractions. You could consider spend the night in Tepoztlan and spend the next day before you come back to Mexico City... Regards

Minnesota
Level Contributor
516 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Allocation Among Cities

Too bad that your time is so tight. Many days are necessary simply to see the highlights in Mexico City which you are no doubt already aware. According to a previous poster it might be a very good time to be there unless things you want to see are closed because of Easter time.

Cuernavaca has a handful of highlights to see and they are all so close that you can see them all in one day (Cathedral, a great museum that was originally a home for the Cortez family, the colorful Brady House, and two downtown plazas). Cuernavaca is quite large and instead of one main bus station it has several so I am not sure where you would arrive but it would also require a bus or taxi ride to the centro historico. One day or a day trip could work but with the rides it will be a long day. Remember that your time will also be eaten up with getting to the proper bus station in DF so I would suggest a night in Cuernavaca but it's not an absolute is you don't mind a really long day.

Puebla is our favorite city in Mexico. The architecture in the center of town is lovely so simply walking around is a pleasure. The Puebla zocalo is our favorite. There are many museums and some of the churches (especially the enormous Cathedral and the Rosary Chapel in the Templo de Santo Domingo) are terrific. Plus shopping is all around the centro historico as well.

Very close to Puebla is Cholula which has the largest pyramid left from ancient Mexico although it is not in very good shape today. Another poster also mentioned Tlaxcala which is not too far away and is a lovely but small provincial cap city. We went there as a day trip from Puebla and wished we had stayed overnight.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time Allocation Among Cities

Hi all:

Thank you all for your help. I have been to Mexico City before and in all honesty, I am not too crazy about it. However, I will be there two nights before heading back home.

I will be arriving to DF airport around 2 PM with AirTran. From there I would like to take a bus straight to Tlaxcala and spend the night there. So far, I don't think there is a bus to Tlaxcala. Alternatively, am wondering if there are buses from airport to Cuernavaca.

Please let me know if there are buses for either of these cities from the airport. Again, many thanks in advance.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time Allocation Among Cities

There are direct buses every 60-90 minutes to Tlaxcala on ATAH (130 pesos) - see here: http://www.atah-bus.com/aeropuerto.htm

There are direct buses every 30 minutes to Cuernavaca on Pullman de Morelos (166 pesos) - see here http://www.pullman.mx/pullman.php

Personally I much prefer Tlaxcala as a destination.

7. Re: Time Allocation Among Cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 05:16