We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City solo?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City solo?

Is Mexico City safe enough for a solo traveler? I've read many forums about safety, but this is hard to gauge. I'm a 29 yr old male, usually prefer to travel solo. Was thinking of staying in the Zona Rosa, going out, seeing the sights. My Spanish is so-so. What's your honest opinion? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City solo?

Given what you've told us about yourself, and the upcoming trip - I think you'll be just fine. Centro Historico can be dangerous at night, so I don't suggest venturing there alone after dark, or into any other isolated neighborhoods after dark for that matter. The Zona Rosa is centrally located to see so much of what Mexico City has to offer - including the liveliest live music scene most nights. There are lots of helpful comments/opinons in prior threads archived here on the Mexico City forum - if you haven't seen/read them yet you might want to have a look, to see if there's anything new that can help you.

Enjoy the trip!

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City solo?

What can I say about the oldest, highest, largest and possibly the most cosmopolitan capital in North America? First, that it has four World Heritage Sites, one of which is the Historic Center -- which you would be foolish to avoid. (Xochimilco is another)

The Centro Historico has been the heart of the capital since 1325 and I like to stay in one of the many hotels in that area -- the Catedral (a good deal), the Majestic, the Gran Hotel are all great. The Hotel Imperial (opened 1906), not far away on Paseo de la Reforma. can be a good bargain.

Mexico City is absolutely great for solo travelers and I can't imagine that a 29-year-old man who's used to traveling would find it any more challenging than any other really big city.

The "Zona Rosa" (really La Colonia Juárez) got its nickname in the 60's, when American students thought it was really "hip", but it's become rather seedy in the last few years, comfortable perhaps for a few aging hippies.

Get on the Turibus early your first day to really see the sights and decide where you want to go back and spend some time. When I go up to the capital I always spend some time at the Anthropology Museum and Chapultepec Castle (Note: the Turibus stop for the Castle is mysteriosly marked 'Modern Art Museum').

The Turibus operates on a circular route from the Historic Center to Chapultepec Park . Busses pass each stop about every thirty-five minutes; stops are marked with a red banner (about 60x90cm) hung on a light pole. There's one right at the Imperial and another at the west entrance to the Cathedral.

You can board at any stop, get off and re-board any time on the same day so long as you have your ticket and bracelet. The tour takes a little less than 3-hours to complete and operates between 9am and 9pm. Tickets cost 100 pesos for adults (115 pesos on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays) are available only on board the bus.

The web site for Turibus, which includes a map, is:

http://64.78.37.75/turibus/recorrido_turistico_df.html

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City solo?

Awesome. Thanks for the tips.

Portland, Or
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City solo?

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Catedral in the Historic District for 5 nights in Jan. 08. At our Hotel their was a woman older than you who was alone, American and had no problems. We saw her every morning at breakfast and we saw her out and about in the city. She too spoke little Spanish, but managed to do just fine. I would think if she could do it you could too.

London
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City solo?

Hi

I'm 36 and have been solo to Mexico City about 7 times over the past 4 years (a few trips for work but mostly vacation) and haven't had any problems. I think you'll be fine - just use your common sense.

I agree that the Centro Historico is an absolute MUST to visit - there's a lot to do and see. However, if you're looking to hit the bars and/or clubs I'd suggest you look to stay in either Zona Rosa, Condesa or Polanco. There's very little nightlife in the Centro Historico and it gets pretty quiet once shops and offices have closed up for the night. There's much much going on elsewhere in the city. Zona Rosa (around Amberes, Hamburgo and Londres) is now the hub of the city's gay scene with new bars opening there all the time - it's a lively, young(ish) scene. There are always people around. I've been out and about late at night and haven't ever had any problems. There are also a number of lap dancing clubs doted around as well. Condesa and Roma (both a 5 minute taxi ride or comfortable walking distance from Zona Rosa) are packed with a good mix of trendy bars, restaurants and cafes. Polanco is a bit more upscale.

I think you'll find people pretty friendly. Mexico City is an an amazing place and definitely worth a trip.

Enjoy

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico City solo?

I am 65 YO By-pass survivor with diabetes & prostate Cancer & I get by just fine alone or with my wife.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico City solo?

I'm 52 and have had no trouble travelling alone as a female. My spanish is, at best, functional.

My favorite little hotel is the Hotel Gillow (a sister hotel to the Hotel Cathedral). It is centrally located in Centro Historico and has a nice little restaurant attached.

The only thing I don't like is the taxis that wait outside the door. I usually hail my own (having been taught by a taxi driver how to spot pirate taxis) or ask the desk to call for a sitio taxi.

For Teotihucan, take a taxi to Terminal Norte and get a bus from there out to the ruins.

8. Re: Mexico City solo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 19:20