We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone contact

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Phone contact

Greetings all. I will be travelling in Mexico for about 5 weeks. During this time I will need to stay in contact with my children whilst they are holidaying in Argentina and upon their return to Australia. I will also need to stay in touch with my daughter as she will be travelling alone from Argentina via Bogota to Mexico City as we plan to meet up and travel together. So... how am I best to go about this? My Spanish is minimal. A computer with Skype or a smart phone. I have no idea really but need to sort it. Cheers and thanks.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone contact

Cyber cafes are all over in every country she will be traveling through. Cheap. Most have Skype so that is your best bet.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone contact

Thanks 103billw for your quick response. So my daughter can have a laptop with her and for me I assume that I need a smart phone to connect via Skype?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone contact

YOu can use a smart phone or computer or iPads, tablets...what you need is to be able to have WIFI...what I did for my trip to Ecuador is also add the minimum amount to a skype account so I can call direct to a mobile phone or land phone besides having Skype to go from computer to computer...I had no problems with that ....I hope this makes sense...

toronto
Level Contributor
710 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone contact

So with Skype, you can call anyone, anywhere, not just people who have Skype, as long as you buy credit?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone contact

Right. Skype to Skype is free, while Skype to phone costs a few cents a minute. How much depends on the destination country, but for most countries, it's cheap-cheap.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phone contact

@Shely...that is correct....you just have to put money on an account.(using a CC)..I did that originally $10..(US) and then added more during my trip...I have some left so I will just leave it on...

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phone contact

Thanks all so I'll have to invest in a smart phone and install Skype.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phone contact

I think you can make th calls with your computer or tablets....I do not think you have to have a smart phone to do what I did...but if you go to the Skype site I think you will get answers there...that is what I didi...

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phone contact

Thanks veniceJ. I'm thinking a phone is easier to travel with than a bulkier laptop or tablet. Cheers.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phone contact

I would agree...a phone is smaller and easier...I only mentioned the computer if that is what you would be traveling with and not a phone...I used my iPad mini as that was all I had with me....