We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day of the Dead celebrations

Palenica, Spain
10 posts
Save Topic
Day of the Dead celebrations

A friend and I will be visiting D.F during the Day of the Dead and we were wondering if there are any celebrations or things we should do/go see during that time? I saw there was a Day of the Dead tour but instead of paying for a tour I was hoping others could point us to things to do on our own.

Thanks!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

It is a great time to be in town. There are ofrendas (altars) all over the place set up by residents, workers, etc. and this is fun to see. Many people will put a photo of a dead relative on an altar at home and some of their favorite foods and drinks and have lit candles and a type of marigold flower petals leading the spirit to the altar.

The Museo de Arte Popular (literally behind the Hilton Alameda) always does a great display on Reforma. The Museo Dolores Olmedo in Xochimilco is always worth the long trip and has a great Day of the Dead exhibition.

You will note crowds at cemetaries. Buy "pan de muerto" (dead bread) at a bakery (I do not know why but my favorite is from Sam's Club as it has an original flavor) - it is delicious.

The Toluca Zocalo has all sorts of chocolate vendors of the oddest shapes.

Children also do trick or treat here so Halloween is fun to see as well.

Palenica, Spain
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

We'll definenetly try and visit the Museo de Arte Popular since we're staying on Reforma and will have to try the pan de muerto!!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
309 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

Hello there, you can also give it a try to Mixquic, awesome place on día de muertos!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
86 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

hello everyone

thanks for discussing the day of the dead

during my upcoming trip to mexico city (first time) my last days will be october 31 and november 1 , so hopefully i will get to see some of the displays at museo de arte popular and zocalo

i will ask people at the hotel front desk where to find a bakery that sells day of the dead bread (pan de muerto)

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
309 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

Hello Victory, you will have absolutely NO problem finding pan de muerto, they sell it on every bakery during that holiday! :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
86 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

sounds great , thanks !

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

I recommend you go to Museo Dolores Olmedo, it's worth the ride! also there is a great exhibition from the "Musée de l’Orangerie" from Paris...

you can also enjoy the mega "ofrenda" on Ciudad Universitaria dedicated this year to Remedios Varo.

La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

I agree with most of the previous recomendations above, and alternatively, you might want to check "Casa del Indio Fernández", in Coyoacan. A little bit far from Coyoacan's main plaza.

This is an off the beaten path attraction but just the house itself is worth the visit. During those days there are plenty of "ofrendas" all around the house, almost in every corner. They offer guided visits frequently during the day and is a unique location to complement your visit to Mexico City during those days. Check their facebook profile where they post all info: https:/…146749255382103

Another venue with new activities, at least I've never heard of it before, on "Día de muertos", will take place in Bosque de Chapultepec, city's main park. They will offer the Festival Miquixtli, which will include "ofrendas" and free legend tours at night. Sounds interesting, I'll be checking it myself! Website (spanish only): orgullosocitadino.com/2013/10/festival-miqui…

Hope you enjoy your visit to the city and get to learn more about this celebration!

Edited: 29 October 2013, 00:34
San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
619 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

Mixquic looks very cool but i am wondering if the crowds make it too chaotic to enjoy for a family with kids?And will we be stuck in traffic for hours coming from the DF? Is saturday less crazy than sunday ? Thanks for any info. Best, ( and thanks for that website orgullosocitadino!)

10. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:22