We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

Shaker Heights, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

Hi folks,

Unfortunately, I will only have a few days in Mexico City, so squeezing in everything I'd like to do is proving to be a challenge. I understand that the Xochimilco canals are better on the weekend, as is stroll through Coyoacan. It also appears that they are both on the south side of town. Is it possible to do both in a single day without beating myself up?

If so, what would you recommend for transport? I will be staying at the Four Season, and realize I could use their car service; but that seems rather inefficient from a time/money perspective for a day-long outing. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Xochimilco
Xochimilco
1,510 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,658 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

Hi Gruver,

yes, you can do it in one day , just organize where in Coyoacan you want to be and Xochimilco so that you don't waste time and make it to both.

Mentioned in this post
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,658 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

I'd do Coyoacan in the morning. Maybe start with breakfast. Saturdays are great for breakfast in DF. Then Xochimilco in the afternoon. The car service at Four Seasons is great but a day will run you. Easy to get a taxi. to Coyoacan and then another to Xochimilco.

Mentioned in this post
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,658 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Xochimilco
Xochimilco
1,510 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

I will recommend Xochimilco morning (have breakfast there) to avoid crowds. Coyoacan in the afternoon for a good meal. The main plaza centenario beautiful during nights @ weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Xochimilco
Xochimilco
1,510 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,658 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

The reason for my suggestion is that I find the crowds one of Xochimilco's attractions. It's not like a soccer match. It's Mexican families enjoying themselves in a very traditional way.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

You can get to Xochimilco by a combination of metro and Tren Ligero (light train); details available elsewhere. The second-last stop on that metro line (General Somebody) is under a mile from the heart of Coyocan. An attractive neighborhood for a walk, and full of (friendly) people even at night. I used a GPS unit so I knew where I was going, but a cab between the two would be quick and cheap.

Loved both places, but didn't have the energy to attempt both on the same day because I did lots of extra walking. (This was just a few days ago BTW.)

Edited: 19 November 2013, 05:47
Mentioned in this post
Xochimilco
Xochimilco
1,510 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

PS, the metro is fascinating in its own right. Great people-watching; it's where the "walking convenience stores" ply their trade. It's another slice of Mexican life. Worth the time (IMHO) to figure out the logistics.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

Well...there are a lot of drunks and heavy crowds at Xochimilco during the weekend afternnons. Family gather mostly before and for "lunch" Mexico's time (2-3pm). Going to Jardín Centenario in the afternoon (Coyoacán main plaza) for late lunch in for example rest. Los Danzantes, is the best way to spend a late afternoon lunch, stroll in the jardin, buy handmade icecream, etc.. Much more family oriented and more Mexican than this, you cannot find.

Mentioned in this post
Xochimilco
Xochimilco
1,510 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
8. Re: Coyoacan & Xochimilco in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:20