We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

Coming to Mexico City in April, trying to find a nice, safe, hotel in a good neighbood for us. Child needs pool so that is essential. Also would like one that includes breakfast or has a restaurant as it makes life easier with a child. I'm most interested in touring museums, the fine arts palace looks amazing. Also want to be near the zoo for my little son. I was looking at Marriott's, but they are really expensive. Can I get some recommendations of hotels to look at that may fit the bill? I'd love to stay in a Mexican brand type of hotel if possible but western is fine too--security is important. Elevator is essential since we have a stroller. Also I'm confused about neighborhoods too--should I stay in the historic center or is Santa Fe or Zona Rosa better or some other one? I'm reading David Lita's book and while it's good--it's too old I think to be anything useful.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

Santa Fe is too far out there and with little to nothing for tourists. Zona Rosa, Polanco, Condesa, Centro Historico are the better choices, location wise.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

When are you coming? Hotels with pools are actually not as common as you would think and those with outdoor pools will be no good in the winter months as they are not heated (otherwise I would recommend the Camino Real). What is your budget? 100 USD a night? 200 USD?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

Try the Sheraton Maria Isabel on Reforma. They have women only floors, a pool on the roof. Wonerful breakfasts in their restaurant and a Starbucks. I think it's a great location and very safe.

Enjoy

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

I'm coming mid April. So even an outdoor pool at that point should be okay, right? I would love to spend $100 a night. Is this possible with my requirements?

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

Check the Sheraton as mentioned and the Camino Real. There are not many pools in hotels in MX DF. Your budget should push up too, maybe look to $150. When I have family w small ones coming they love the 4 seasons, that is though 2x your price. All of the above are within quick public transport or taxi distance to the Chapultapec huge park and series of museums which are great for all ages. Your hotels betw $50 - $100 will not likely have pools nor lots of services, although clean and safe. You are safe in the city. In practically any western City I think women w/children are fine, you have no reason to be wary on that account. I am a f.

(No, $100 is unlikely)

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

In April the temps can still get down below 50F at night which can chill the pools. I wouldn't guarantee its warmth - an indoor pool would be better.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

You are all forgetting she is from CHICAGO. Do you know how cold it is there right now?

I swam several days in the Polanco Camino Real pool in April. It was fine. She and her kids will be fine. ;-)

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

I know it's cold in Chicago but I bet HappiTraveller is not swimming in Lake Michagan :))

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

My visiting friends & family from around the world totally confuse Mexico City & environs with the beaches, they think its hot like SE Asia, or there is a family scene around the pools - its not like that, though an outdoor space is pleasant. I love the Polanco Camino Real, for me its worth the rather small extra price - Jeez for $130 USD to stay in a Legorretta? ((Yes I do have a sentimental & esthetic attachment to the late architect ))-but his spaces are designed, its noticable, and worth the peace of Polanco I think.

My sobrino at Four Seasons & his dad were a kick, it was nice to be so close to Chapultapec, though a headache crossing traffic. I actually had never seen the park from a kid POV; Steve I am sure has experienced that - it is unstoppable park, I prefer it to Central Park w kid, the castillo, the museums, the lake, the mangoes on sticks, we grown-ups were just so exhausted while the kid plunged into the (dip) pool we were on the patio. Actually OP I would think getting a place w patio if you can´t afford one of the pool hotels...

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel for single woman/child in Mexico City?

Thanks everyone. Panch04, I'm not confusing DF with PV or Cancun...I'm not expecting a "family pool scene". My 5 year old, like most 5 year olds, enjoys a pool so I like to start or end our day in one for a little while. That Sheraton looks nice but the Camino Real has really mixed reviews. One or two bad reviews I chalk up to unhappy people, but it seems like every other review talks about how bad and overpriced it is. One thing I am thinking about doing is maybe spend a couple days in a basic hotel without a pool, like the Hotel Isabella or something like that, and then switch to the pool hotels, either the Sheraton or Marriott, etc. That way I can switch neighborhoods, maybe a few days in the Historic area and then transfer to Polanco or Rosa? Does that sound fine? Also, for the record, I don't swim in Lake Michigan. It is a cold body of water until about August! I much prefer clean, nice pools.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 13:49