We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Cholula/Puebla

Hello!!!

I will be going to Mexico City next week to visit some friends in Cuernavaca. My question is is a day trip to cholula and puebla possible?? I did it over 15 years ago but from what I remember it seemed kind of rushed! Please let me know the best times to leave DF and how to see the pyramid and the best way to get to puebla after. Also if possible what are some sights to see in Puebla??? Thanks so much for any advice !!!!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Cholula/Puebla

Puebla is one of the best colonial cities near Mexico City and while there is a lot to do, yes, a day trip is easy. Strop at Cholula to see the pyramid then head to town. The cathedral is in my view the most spectacular in Mexicio. It reminds me of the Cusco cathedral. The Centro is charming and easy to walk. Barrio de los Sapos has great arts and crafts shopping. Prics are reasonable. Food is good too. The Museo Amparo is well worth it. Traffic gettig in and out of Mexico City is a headache when going to Puebla - get an early start and it is an easy day trip.

I will be going tomorrow, but am spending the night at La Purificadora (I always wanted to stay here) to have a less rushed visit. It will be my 25th trip to Puebla more or less, always a nice day trip or weekend.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Cholula/Puebla

I would add to the above:

IN CHolula main market on Avenida Hidalgo: have a Cemita (like a sandwich...unreal!) Go to the stand inside which has 3 women making the cemitas. There are little tables and a coco cola fridge in teh eating area.

1. When in Puebla, have a drink at La Pasita (Raisin liquer hand-made there for over 100 years)

2. Also, you MUST see the Iglesia de Santo Domingo. The Capilla is one of the greatest in the world. (Yes, I have been to the Vatican) These are all in the center.

3. Also, Eat at La Mexicana (Breakfast), or La Sacristia de La Compania (Dinner-mole Poblano sampler with Arrachera...divine....)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
679 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Cholula/Puebla

Can anyone provide some tips on how to do a Puebla trip without a tour?

I understand I can take an ADO bus from TAPO that will take me into Puebla.

From there, I'd have to take another bus to get to Cholula and back?

4. Re: Day trip to Cholula/Puebla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16