We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City-Day of the dead

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City-Day of the dead

Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Mexico City from 1st-2nd November this year to see the Day of the dead festival

Just trying to get a rough idea of which area to stay in-we want to be walking distance preferably and want to be reasonably close to the airport as we're doing this in between a package holiday to the cancun area

I've seen a few really nice looking 4/5* hotels/apartments but I massively underestimated the sheer size of the place!

any recommendations would be appreciated

thank you

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City-Day of the dead

"Walking distance" of what? There is no parade or festival for the Day of the Dead. There are some "altars" in various places and there will be observances at cemeteries but they are low-key family events. Anywhere in the central area is within a 30 minute cab ride of the airport (including popular spots of Polanco, Centro Historico, Condesa, Roma, etc.).

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City-Day of the dead

Agree, you wont see parade or festivities, but you can see the city decorated, although it is getting closer to Halloween than to the traditional Dia de muertos.

Having said that there is a display of "ofrendas" (altars) in CU (Ciudad Universitaria), wich features a lot of them with different themes, but it does get very crowded. There is another expo in Coyoacán (they are less because the place is smaller). And I believe they do another one in Zócalo, but never been to that one.

Now, CU and Coyoacán are nowhere near the airport, so you would have to take a ride on a taxi or public transport to get there or you might just stick to the one in the Zocalo. It is not far from Roma/Condesa if you choose to stay there.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City-Day of the dead

The altars in the zócalo were fun when I was in town a few years ago. However, the Day of the Dead is best experienced in smaller towns. Pátzcuaro is the most famous. In San Miguel de Allende it's pretty good too, and has the advantage of being less than four hours from DF. Worth a side trip?

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City-Day of the dead

Thank you

I did originally want to stay in Oaxaca for a few nights as I've read that this is one of the best places but we're just trying to keep travelling costs down and it was cheaper to fly to MEX

I've seen some good things written about Mixquic-only problem for me here would be transport as I'd rather not have to hire a car but wouldn't have the first clue on public transport or whether there would be a coach/tour we could book on to. It seems to be roughly a two hour drive from mexico city dependant on traffic

It looks like the cheapest option would be to visit Xcaret as we're hoping to stay in cancun somewhere but I just really wanted to see the 'real deal' as opposed to in a theme park scenario although most people have been do seem to comment on it being done quite well

Any advice will be most appreciated :)

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City-Day of the dead

Are you flying back to the UK from MEX or will you have to return to Cancun. If the latter, I hardly think it worth your while paying for a return flight CUN-MEX just for the Day of the Dead. True, Mixquic is quite famous, but you would not be able to get back to town from there at night as the buses will have stopped running. Have you thought of hopping on a bus from Cancun to somewhere nearer, like Valladolid or Izamal? I am sure there will be something to see there during the Day of Dead period, and they are worth a visit anyway. You could ask on the relevant forums.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 15:13
Vancouver
Level Contributor
289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico City-Day of the dead

We stumbled on a procession the Saturday night before Dia de los Muertos. Big parade of costumed people following stilt walkers, drummers, and dancers. We followed it all along Madero from Cardenas to the Zocalo, basically the whole pedestrian only stretch. There was more music and dancing in Zocalo for a while.

But there were no big concentrations of altars or other celebrations while we were there.

7. Re: Mexico City-Day of the dead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:15