We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to Mexico City Confusion

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun to Mexico City Confusion

I found a a return flight from London 2nd June > Cancun 3rd June arriving at cancun at 14:00pm, however it is a return flight I will have booked. Originally I wanted to book two singles as I want to arrive at Mexico City and fly back home from Cancun but this return ticket works out cheaper. This is with Thomas Cook.

I then want to book a flight from Cancun > Mexico City on the 3rd june and the flight is at 18:05pm? This is is with Viva Aerobus.

Therefore this gives me about 4 hours from landing in Cancun to catching my next flight to Mexico City booked separately.

Is this enough time? And how would the baggage work? As in would I need to go through security again? Sorry if this seems like a silly question however I just want to make sure this is feasible before making any bookings. Thanks for the help!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun to Mexico City Confusion

First of all, check how much an open jaws return would be with BA rather than two singles. Then factor in the fact that a Thomas Cook flight does not include departure tax, so it might be a false saving. BA and Virgin include the tax , and their planes are more comfortable too. Then check the Viva Aerobus baggage rules: I think you pay extra for a check-in bag and the size/weight restrictions might be different than for international flights. So factor in the extra cost there too.

You will clear customs and immigration at Cancun. You will then take your bags yourself to the domestic terminal to check in for the flight to MEX. Usually you have to check in 90 minutes beforehand. So four hours should be enough IF your incoming flight is on time and if there are no major delays at customs and immigration. If you miss that flight you will have to buy another ticket and those can be expensive when bought at short notice.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun to Mexico City Confusion

I just had a look at the Viva Aerobus and Thomas Cook websites and you can check in as late as 40 minutes before departure with V.A., so the four hours should be more than ample. Maybe ask on the Cancun forum about Thomas Cook punctuality. The prices do indeed look good in June!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun to Mexico City Confusion

I agree that buying a BA ticket arriving in Cancun and departing from Mexico City may be cheaper than you think (almost the same cost as a return to either place) but to answer your specific questions...

Your inward flight to Cancun and your next flight to Vivaaerobus are totally separate. So when you arrive you line up in immigration, wait for your bags, line up in customs. You then have to find the check-in counter for Vivaaerobus which may well be in another terminal. You line up and check your bags in and get your boarding pass for that flight. Then you go through security again and find your departure gate. When you arrive in Mexico City there are no lines to worry about (no immigration, no customs - just collect your bags and go).

Monterrey, Nuevo...
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun to Mexico City Confusion

Be careful with Viva Aerobus, at least in my experience they tend to be terrible out of schedule. Ive been in flights with more than 2 hours in delay. Best of luck!

5. Re: Cancun to Mexico City Confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 05:15