We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports in Mexico City

Naperville...
3 posts
Save Topic
Sports in Mexico City

Hello, forum! My wife and I are spending a week in Mexico City from June 12 to 19, and we're interested in checking out one or two professional sporting events. Our preference would be to see a soccer (football) game, but considering that the World Cup will be taking place during this time, we're wondering if this would even be possible.

So, our questions: are there top-tier or second-tier soccer games taking place during this time? And if not, what other sports would you recommend? Baseball? Bullfighting?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports in Mexico City

No, the football seasons in most of the world are off on June, especially when the world cup is on. This is also the case for the second and third division, at least in Mexico. So no football.

Diablos Rojos del Mexico, a baseball team, would be an option. They play at Foro Solo. You can find their calendar here:

http://www.diablos.com.mx/calendario.php

That should be fun.

Not sure about bullfighting. I oppose it.

There is a professional basketball league, but information is hard to come by. The websites are full of contradictory information.

What about Lucha Libre?

Naperville...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports in Mexico City

Thanks for the information and ideas, Julian. Unfortunate about the football!

What we're really trying to experience is how Mexican culture expresses itself through sport, if that makes sense. Bullfighting sounds like something I'd be opposed to as well, but since it has such a following in Mexico, I thought it might be an interesting cultural experience (even if we leave in tears...).

Baseball is an idea. Would you say Mexicans care about baseball, and that it is unique from a baseball experience in the US?

As for Lucha Libre, I've toyed with the idea, but the same questions occur to me: would you say it's truly "Mexican"? If so, I'd be open to the idea. I'm not at all into WWE, but I've heard LL is very different.

Again, a heartfelt thank you for your help in making this trip a memorable one!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports in Mexico City

Lucha Libre is purely local. There is folklore and tradition mixed with pizzzazz. It is not these U.S. wrestling shows. I do not think we care too much about baseball (I think Dominicans like that). Visit Acapulco and see the cliff divers (well worth the trip). Cabalgatas (organized horse tours sometimes with 100 riders) are traditional and people get passionate about them. Paseo d ela Reforma from Polanco to the Zona Rosa is clsoed on Sundays to traffic and you will find all sorts of locals enjoying sport - bike riding, running, walking, there are even city run dance workouts. Good people watching.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports in Mexico City

I agree, Luche Libre es puro Mexicano (pure Mexican); certainly more so than baseball -or- bull fighting. You will find baseball in Mexico is no different than here in the US.

Se diviertan!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sports in Mexico City

Yeah, Lucha Libre is very authentic. The whole experience is, from the entrance, to the fans, the luchas themselves, everything. It's a must, I would say.

Baseball is not unlike in the US. People just sitting there, drinking a beer and watching the game go for countless hours.

What about boxing? I am not sure of details, but I could search for info, if you're interested. Mexico has a strong boxing tradition and could be an experience.

Naperville...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sports in Mexico City

Thanks to all for the responses! Given what you've said, I'll pursue Lucha Libre. That sounds like our best bet for experiencing Mexican sporting culture this time of year.

Now if I can find my way back during the football season...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
667 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sports in Mexico City

Can anyone tell me what days of the week there are bull fights and lucha libre?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sports in Mexico City

baseball. Diablo rojos de Mexico a tdouble or trible 8 affiliate. Tickets for Butaca seating are best. They are roughly 8 dollars.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
667 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sports in Mexico City

Looking into this more, is lucha libre only on Friday's?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
55 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sports in Mexico City

I think there is also Lucha on Sundays but it is much smaller and at a different arena