We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

London
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

We are arriving in a couple of weeks, first trip to Mexico and touring Chiapas for a week before getting to Mexico City. Please advise if there's something major that we shouldn't miss, or if I've picked a bad day to do any of the below -

Wednesday - Arrive lunchtime and travel to B&B in Condesa. Suggestions for evening? Wander around local area & Roma for drinks and dinner maybe.

Thursday - Chapultepec park - Castle and Anthropology museum, maybe Modern Art Museum.

Friday - Teothuacan early by bus. Afternoon rest. Evening lucha libre wrestling.

Saturday - Morning/lunchtime: Xochomilco gondola, late afternoon/eveining Coyoacan (this is my birthday so restaurant recommendations welcome :-)

Sunday - Centro Historico - see the National Palace, The Templo Mayor, Cathedral

Flight departs late Sunday night

NB we are pretty hardy travellers and hoping we can get around happily on the Metro. We aren't keen on more touristy places than necessary, but are into history/museums/parks and generally cafe sitting in cool/pretty parts of town :-) Travelling with a 12 year old, but he's used to central London and generally likes cities.

Any tips or advice really welcome - I feel like I haven't yet done enough research and will be still reading up on the flight there......

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Chapultepec Park
Chapultepec Park
1,558 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,696 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Hotel Templo Mayor
Hotel Templo Mayor
61 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

All Good stuff.

I do suggest BEGINNING with Centro Historico. It is the historic center, thus starting there is give your tour a historical narrative arc. (Old moving onto modern, rather than new > old >new > old again which is what you have now)

Other than that, you are good. Coyocan has a beautiful restaurant in the plaza, (Used to be called Omaya'huel, now, I don't know-ask) great food, ambiance and artisanal mescal.

London
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

Good point :-)

In fact as soon as I posted I thought that very idea.

Thanks for the restaurant tip too

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

You must dine in at the Hosteria de Santo Domingo, which is the oldest restaurant in Mexico City.

I always dine in the evening (after 6:00pm), when they have a lounge-type singer and piano player. It is like being in a 1930's film. The food is authentic and very moderately-priced. Service is old-style. In short, it is a true experience! I always dine there twice during my annual visits.

http://www.hosteriadesantodomingo.mx/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150800-d8…

Mentioned in this post
La Hosteria de Santo Domingo
La Hosteria de Santo...
499 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

I would switch Thursday with Sunday, Chapultepec park is magical on Sundays..........

Mentioned in this post
Chapultepec Park
Chapultepec Park
1,558 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

Hi, as you are staying in Condesa go to Parque Espana as they have a big playing area for children and in fron of the park at night go the Pata Negra bar very popular with a bar and dance floor on the top and some days in the week they have live music.

If you are in Coyoacan and want a special Mexican restaurant on a lovely square and beyond the noisy main square go Las Lupitas restaurant on Plaza Santa Catarina 4 (Esquina con Francisco Sosa) just check the opening times or ask for help in your hotel to call them.And at any restaurant you go tell them it is your birthday !

Mentioned in this post
Pata Negra
Pata Negra
195 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,696 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
114 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

Since you're going to Coayacan on Sat. I would strongly recommend "el bazar del sabado" You can find really unique things there and i had the best brunch ever in their restaurant.

In Roma i strongly recommend restaurant nueve nueve.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
61 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

Mexican food in Coyoacan, Los Danzantes for your birthday. No all local food is hot, spicy maybe, but not much more than what what you would find in London (curry, ...).

If you would like something fancier, try Restaurante El Lago to celebrate your birthday.

Mentioned in this post
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,696 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
El Lago
El Lago
311 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

Like this.doing 4 nights in few weeks also

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,688 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

Bazar Sabado, which is pretty amazing, is in San Angel, not Coyoacan. And don't try walking from the one to the other! There is a small but beautifully curated museum in the Alameda close to the Monumento a la Revoluccion, the Museo Nacional San Carlos, which I highly recommend. Nearby is the amazing Palacio de Bellas Artes with wonderful murals and sometimes brilliant temporary exhibits. And if you like folk art, try the Museo de Arte Popular which is nearby and which has a terrific gift shop. I would go on but you have but four days.

Mentioned in this post
San Angel
San Angel
729 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Coyoacan
Coyoacan
6,696 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Palacio de Bellas Artes
Palacio de Bellas Artes
8,874 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Museo de Arte Popular
Museo de Arte Popular
912 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
London
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 night Mexico city Itinerary - please critique!

So we're back - we did pretty much stick to the plan above, but swapped the days so Centro Historico was on day one and the park and museums on Sunday. We really liked the city - but alas did not get to any of the above restaurants recommended :-( (not usually in the right place when the boys needed to be fed....) We had some great meals though, including Rojo Bistrot and Mero Toro, both in Condesa.

Favourite things in the city - Xochimilco was so much fun and relaxing - but we got a cab there and should have paid it to wait, as the train and metro ride home was very long and exhausting. Mexican Wrestling on the Friday night was brilliant too.

One tip re museums - I would strongly advise not to leave Anthropology museum until the Sunday - it's free for locals (not tourists) and is therefore absolutely rammed. Would be better to have gone on another day. We ended up skipping the Castillo as there were just too many people on the Sunday and everyone was a bit tiring.

But all was great. We caught the metro most of the time and was good - manic at rush hour but fine if you are used to public transport. Just be prepared to be stared at a lot if you have fair hair/are tall/are obviously Western tourists :-)