We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
312 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

I'd like to go from San Miguel Allende to Terminal 2 of the Mexico City airport on a first-class Primera Plus bus on Friday the 22nd. I'm having trouble purchasing a ticket or even getting the schedule on the Primera Plus website and my Spanish isn't good enough for a call.

I believe I get the bus at the Calle Canal station in SMA and change in Queretero direct to the airport. I can only access the airport-to-Queretero route online and not the other way around, but it looks like buses leave hourly. Do you know if it's possible to show up and buy a ticket without a reservation and/or if some buses have less frequent stops than others? If not I'll have to go to the station in advance as I can't seem to make the website work.

Any advice you could give me would be most appreciated.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
336 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

I don't think Primera Plus serves San Miguel Allende but it does go from Queretaro to Terminal 2 every half hour to 45 minutes. It takes about 3-3 1/2 hours. Since they run so many buses there is no need to buy a ticket ahead of time, and probably not possible to do online or over the phone with a non-Mexican credit card anyway. I try to show up at the bus station about a half hour before I want to leave. By the way, I didn't have any trouble finding the Primera Plus schedule. Aeropuerto Mexico Terminal 2 should appear almost at the top of the list when you try to select your destination.

Others can help with the SMA-Queretaro portion. I'm guessing ETN or Flecha Amarilla serves this route.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
312 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

Muchas gracias for your reply. I was told Primera Plus serves SMA but maybe I was misinformed. I know I can catch a bus to Quereteo from here though, so only the Queretero to airport leg may be on Primera Plus.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

I always buy my PP ticket online in advance, and have never had a problem with a non Mexican card. Or you can order online and collect and pay at an Oxxo convenience store. There are a number of places in town where you can buy them too for a small commission, without going to the bus station, including the travel agent on Cuna de Allende.

There are frequent second class buses to Querétaro, and there's more than one company, so just show up and take the first. Allow a couple of hours, as they can be slow if they are picking up a lot of passengers, and you also have to go through security at Querétaro bus station.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

If the timing is good for you, you could also take a nonstop PP bus from San Miguel to terminal Norte in DF, and a taxi to the airport from there. Don't take ETN as they stop in Querétaro which adds more than half an hour to the journey. Bear in mind, though, that there are only a handful of these buses a day.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
312 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks so much. May I ask if I keep my luggage on the bus with me or stored in a compartment outside the bus and if so, is it safe? I'd always bring my laptop, etc. with me on the bus.

I've allowed all day for this process and it'll be interesting to see the stops along the way.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

Your bags get checked into the hold beneath the bus (you get a receipt for each bag). There are normally no "stops along the way" (ETN stops once at Tepotzlan but buses from Primera Plus buses from Queretaro to Terminal Norte or the airport are non-stop).

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

On the airport bus, you are limited on what you can take on board with you, eg. no airline size carry ons. I have sometimes had to leave my laptop down below, but they will store it carefully. Otherwise, carry it separately. It's fourlane toll road all the way, so not especially scenic.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
312 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

OP here to thank everyone for the advice. The bus ride SMA-Mexico City was fun and a breeze. I did it all in beginner Spanish and people were patient and helpful. I was advised to go to the SMA bus terminal and simply ask for the next first-class bus departing which was Primera Plus. Couldn't get over the plush interior and sack lunches. Bought a tix in Queretaro for the PP non-stop to the airport which left within the hour.

Recommend the bus between SMA and the Mexico City airport...super easy. Thanks again.

9. Re: Primera Plus - SMA to Mexico City airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2015, 06:16