We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water

Seattle
Level Contributor
773 posts
22 reviews
9 helpful votes
Drinking water

is the tap water okay to drink, in Mexico City? How about in a hotel? I'm staying at the Marriott in Santa Fe. If not, coffee should be okay, right? Bc the water is hot?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
27 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: Drinking water

It is not ok to drink but the again I wish my mouth with it, but I guess I'm used to it by now. Who knows. Visitors are better playing safe than sorry. You are not used to the local "bugs" so why risk it. Bottled water is cheap.

Coffee is ok because the water was boiled, hot is not enoifh.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
13,881 posts
127 reviews
229 helpful votes
2. Re: Drinking water

I agree with JulianM. Bottled water is cheap (2 half-liter bottles for a buck). Coffee is fine as it has been heated to and past 165* F (which kills all known organisms harmful to humans). At one time I used bottled water to brush my teeth; not so much anymore but I have been going to Mexico since 1987.

¡Se diviertán!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Drinking water

Just recently stayed at Marriott in Polanco and the concierge advised not to drink tap water in the hotel even though it was "purified". The maid left several bottle of water every day, so I suspect they will at your Marriot also, and again as mentioned above bottled water is cheap and much better than getting sick. Ice in drinks (margaritas! etc) at nice places should be fine as they use purified ice. Have fun!

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
227 posts
81 reviews
91 helpful votes
4. Re: Drinking water

Yeah, I can't imagine a high class hotel not leaving water in your room. Tho who knows if you have to pay for it if you open it.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
71 reviews
206 helpful votes
5. Re: Drinking water

Don't drink the water. That particular hotel will provide bottled water in the room, probably free of charge. Unless you're working close by, that hotel is rather isolated from most of what there is to see and do in the city. Enjoy the visit.

Ringwood, United...
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
5 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Drinking water

Some hotels charge. The last time I stayed in the Melia Reforma they left a small bottle of water in the room - but it cost 50 pesos! Time to hit the nearest Oxxo.....

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
54 reviews
143 helpful votes
7. Re: Drinking water

I always give "my" maid a gratuity on arrival asking for an extra pillow of another water etc. I am going to tip her/him anyhow & I am assured a well stocked room for water, towels, shampoos etc through out my visit.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
71 reviews
206 helpful votes
8. Re: Drinking water

Good advice offered @7, above.

Seattle
Level Contributor
773 posts
22 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: Drinking water

Thank you all! I've had a great time here. My hotel does leave two free bottles, when the maid can remember. But the have larger extra bottles too, which are affordable. :-)

10. Re: Drinking water

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.