We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

We are traveling soon from the United States to visit Mexico City and are excited about this trip. However, we've been warned by several people that it is very dangerous for US citizens to be traveling to Mexico City at this time due to increased kidnapping and theft activities targeted against US citizens. I'd appreciate hearing from other Americans who traveled to Mexico City this year as to your experience and recommendations. Thank you.

111 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,688 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

Check the State Department travel advisory site, and cat accordingly.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

I will be in Mexico City next week. I will report back. If you don't hear from me, it will be because I was kidnapped.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

There are no current travel warnings for citizens of any country who are visiting the city, nor have there ever been from what I'm recalling. I suspect that whomever has been telling you these things ... don't know what they're talking about. :-)

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

Here is the link you need to read...scroll down to find Mexico City....

https:/…mexico-travel-warning.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

Was this post stuck in the cache from 2005 or something?

Anyone telling you about "increased kidnapping" risk for US citizens is either mocking you or completely clueless as to current world events.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,989 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

Blimey, I must make sure to carry my passport with me next time I am out and about in the city.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

I am assuming you will be going to touristy places, so I'd say more than likely you won't have any issues. Just use common sense, the usual "don't walk down dark alleys", "avoid sketchy people".

Be aware of your surroundings, keep an eye on your belongings etc etc. I have been to lots of places all around Mexico City, travelled there a few times over the past 10 years and as a young female traveller I have never felt unsafe and never had any incidents.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

Why not put a large Canadian or German flag on your shirt? You'll be invincible!

But, in all seriousness, you'll be fine. I don't know where your friends got their information.

Edited: 29 June 2016, 13:02
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

Your post seems from 1998. There have not been " increased kidnappings and violence..." against any nationalities.

As gomex stated, these warnings were given to you by people Who do not know what they are talking about . Mexico City is a big city but it is no more dangerous than NYC, Chicago, LA or London. In some ways it is safer.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?

There's no indication that Americans are targeted by criminals. It does not make much sense either. From a planning perspective, the logistics of kidnapping a foreigner are more complicated than if you choose a local. Criminals don't know how important the foreigner is either. As an example, when the German ambassador got his bike stolen, the authorities found the "perpetrators" quickly (as we all knew they would). A local wouldn't even bother reporting a crime like this because no one would follow up and he would just waste his time.

You will be OK and most likely have a pleasant trip. Relax, enjoy, be careful, but not paranoid either.

having said that, don't believe that Mexico City is like any other major city in the world either. When was the last time Scotland Yard officers, trying to rob a citizen (yes, trying to, not protecting against) got into a shooting with private guards in a fancy shopping mall in London? Have they been caught in camera kidnapping people? Every time that a kidnapping gang is busted in the US (are there many?) half of the criminals are FBI agents?

In the fancy areas you will see a lot of armed bodyguards, armored vehicles, security guards with shotguns transporting the money from businesses as small as coffee shops or guarding places that have no security in other world cities, like mobile phone shops. All these measures, believe me, are not in place just for show or laughs. There are safety concerns in the city for many people. but they shouldn't affect visitors.

Reply to: Is Mexico City Safe for Americans right now?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted