We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International transit on AM, changes?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,335 posts
130 reviews
International transit on AM, changes?

I saw this link on another website, which seems to imply that Aeromexico passengers transferring from one international flight to another at MEX do NOT have to go through immigration (and customs?). I am wondering if this is a new policy, since our advice has always been that they do. It would be good to have some clarification on this from anyone who has done such a transfer recently!

https:/…

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

If I understand correctly, if your next flight is outside Mexico you do not need to go through immigration and customs and dont need a FMM.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,335 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

That does seem to be what it says; just not so sure that I like them holding my Passport for me during that time. Good thing I also have a US Passport card in my wallet; I would not give THAT up too.

¡Se diviértan!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

I agree Lonestar, surrending my passport to "ground personel" I have never heard that before and would never do it. Most airports who are equipped with neutral transit zones dont request that. I would rather go through the usual process.

3 posts
4. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

As I understood, the procedure takes place just for people without a visa.

In September I am flying AM to LAX from GRU via MEX and I am very confused about international connection procedures in MEX. Sent e-mails to AM and MEX about it but with no answer until now... How international to international used to work in MEX (customs and baggage claim)? Info: I do not need a visa to enter MEX and besides I have a tourist visa to US.

OP, sorry to use your thread...

Edited: 03 August 2016, 19:57
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

I am not sure I understand your question. I was understanding that passengers only passing through the airport to a third country do not need an FMM. If you are confused, fill one out on the plane and keep it until you know. If you are coming from a country that requires a special visa, you should contact the mexican embassy in your country.

I wish people would use city names. Not everyone is familiar with Airport codes.

3 posts
6. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

Sorry about that.

Flying AeroMexico to Los Angeles (LAX) from Sao Paulo/Brazil (GRU) via MEX.

At this time, Brazilians don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but do need to enter States.

My doubts are if I need to claim baggage, clear customs and re-check my baggage at a special counter (drop-off) at Mexico International Airport since it's a international to international connection.

There are many mismatched information over the net. Moreover, Aeromexico and MEX consumer service still didn't answer my emails.

Edited: 03 August 2016, 20:43
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

Felipe, you are right, lots of conflicting information. This seems to be a recent procedure and I wonder if it has anything to do with the renovations at T2 being completed. I suspect, the staff at the boarding gate in Brazil or on the plane will inform you of the right procedure, or, when you land, there are always employees checking for FMM and directing passengers. If you have doubts, do fill the FMM and if you are required to go through immigration you will need to collect your bags before going through customs. Your bags will be tagged to final destination.

We can only wish that someone with real experience reports soon.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
541 reviews
8. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

In Terminal 2, right at the point where passengers coming off of planes go down the escalator or stairs to Immigration, there are airline staff at the Connections desk. It seems to always be staffed, even when returning at 5 or 6 am from Brazil. Passengers who do not have to clear Customs are told to keep walking airside and not go downstairs. I have seen them. I assume they enter the terminal via another secure door rather than the main door downstairs. That part I have never done since I live here.

3 posts
9. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

Just came back from my trip to California and I need to say that everyone arriving in Mexico City airport (MEX) with local or international connection/layover (like me) MUST fill immigration and customs form, pass through immigration, get passport stamped, collect bags, pass through customs (random select to scanner) and then drop bags on connection tray.

It is simple and well signed out but can take some time.

Regards!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: International transit on AM, changes?

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to know from someone who has been there.