We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxana Feb 09

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Oaxana Feb 09

Hi we are four canadians who will be in Oaxaca in february and need to know the best way to get to Puerto Espondido.

We had heard there is a van but was told it is 1500 pesos.

We could rent a car and take a scenic? route to get there.

Is the bus trip a long one?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

stormylca

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxana Feb 09

I am one Canadian, resident of Oaxaca. You can hire a van and driver for about 3500 pesos to get you there. You can take the bus, or a van from a van company, the latter costing about 150 pesos each person, and the bus more. The travel time is about 6.5 hours, less if a shorter highway is used. The bus terminal is the big one known as ADO (schedules: http://www.ado.com.mx) on Niños Heroes de Chapultepec, and van companies are on Galeana, La Noria and Arista. I hear the best reports about the one on Arista (from my daughter amongst others). Flights by Aerotucan and Aerovega generally go daily, weekdays in the morning, and weedends usually close to noon. All can be booked upon your arrival here, but take care of flights in particular early on. Sometimes the airlines make it difficult to book online, but you could try phone. If flights can be booked now, it's better to look after it since it's high tourist season. For my article about the drive, feel free to email me at oaxacadream@hotmail.com and I'd be pleased to send it to you as an attachment. Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxana Feb 09

I am probably not the best one to answer you questions and I'm sure others will join in before too long. We were in Oaxaca city and took a van to PE. It took about 7 hours. It is not for those who have a problem with motion, one of our group was pretty green by the time we got there and she refused to go back by van. We flew back and the flight was amazing, I would highly recommend the flight. As I recall it left PE about 7 or 7:30 am and we were in OC at the Zocolo for breakfast, and the view was incredible.....thru the mountains!

Good luck,

Kate

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxana Feb 09

I agree with the previous poster about the drive. The flight is much more comfortable.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oaxana Feb 09

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

We had looked at one airline which seemed expensive but will look into the other more local ones.

But we like the idea of seeing the scenery and taking our time to get to Puerto Escondid and would possibly rent a car for this portion of the trip.

If it is safe and an interesting drive. We would then return the following week to oaxcana and return the car prior to the return flight.

Thanks for all the advice.

stormylca

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oaxana Feb 09

For the drive, go out along 175, and return along 131. Consider spending the night on your way out, at San Jose del Pacífico, but in the first set of cabañas you find, with fireplaces in the rooms. The reasons I suggest spending the night are:

1) it's a quaint little village

2) nice walks up and down pathways

3) the one hotel is quite charming, though roughing it a bit

4) you can leave Oaxaca say at noon or a bit later so have a half day extra here, and still have daylight to explore the village and not be bored with too much time on your hands there

5) then drive into Puerto early the next day

6) the village is about half way, nicely dividing the trip.

On the other hand, we usually do it in one day, and you can get there early and relax on the beach...just an option.

Alvin Starkman

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oaxana Feb 09

Thank you so much .

Appreciate the advice to stop at one of the villages on the way. Will be nice to get some warmth during a Canadian winter.

stormylca

7. Re: Oaxana Feb 09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 06:22