We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language schools in Oaxaca

NSW
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Language schools in Oaxaca

I notice there has been some discussion about language schools from 2 years ago-- am looking at Instituto Cultural Oaxaca and Amigos Del Sol Oaxaca...has anyone any comments on these schools.

Planning to spend couple of weeks there in July- any info would be appreciated !

thanks,Fran

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Language schools in Oaxaca

They both have good reputations, as does Becari. Instituto has a more rigid curriculum, so you might want to consider that. Becari is rather flexible, but I'm not sure about del Sol. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, with that one qualification. On the other hand, the grounds of the Instituto are wonderful, if that's a consideration. Friends and clients have been to the two you note, and we've been to Becari a couple of times over the past dozen or so years, and keep in touch with the owners ... and we're acquainted with the owner of the Instituto. The owners or Becari and the Instituto have stellar reputations amongst the broader Oaxacan community members. Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

NSW
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Language schools in Oaxaca

Thanks so much, that gives me good options and I feel reassured all have reliable reputations.

Cheers, Fran

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Language schools in Oaxaca

I went and read their webpages and feel they accurately represent the schools. One has a curriculum that includes activities like cooking classes, salsa dancing classes, and various group activities away from the school.

The other highlights their ability to structure a class for you or your group.

I think it's a fair representation of their differences. I have friends that I would direct to one or the other depending on my friends expectations and personality.

We have a lot of intensive Spanish schools and a lot are good. They all have a catch though. I'll warn you, you have to do homework, participate in class, and practice outside of class. There's always a catch.

NSW
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Language schools in Oaxaca

Thanks for your comments and going to the trouble of reading their web pages...I appreciate your help,

Cheers , Fran

Kutztown, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Language schools in Oaxaca

Dear Fran,

My wife and I studied for 3 weeks at Amigos del Sol earlier this year. I've also taken a seminar from an outside group that used the facilities of the Instituto Cultural and so observed some classes there.

Amigo del Sol is less expensive, and more flexible.

Rogelio Ballesteros, the director of Amigos del Sol, will go out of his way to make sure your have the right instruction for your level. Classes typically have 3 or 4 students, and if you take 2 classes in the a.m., you are likely to be in two different groups.

Instituto Cultural has on-site crafts and weaving courses, lovely grounds. Great location. Generally, there are more students in the classes there. Seemed like about 8 in a typical class. Typical student seemed to be college-age female from .U.S. Both schools arrange homestays which adds value to your lessons.I'd say do the homestay, if it doesn't work out, either school will help you find a new place.

Either one would be a good choice. I prefer Amigos del Sol. Not to add confusion to your choices, but the University, UABJO, also has classes if you need college credits for your study.

Last thought, my daughter who has studied Spanish in Spain at the University of Valladolid, thought her instruction at Amigos del Sol in Oaxaca was more worthwhile.

All the best,

Kevin

NSW
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Language schools in Oaxaca

Thanks Kevin,thats really helpful to hear about yours and your daughter's experience!

Cheers , Fran

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Language schools in Oaxaca

I took a few private lessons at Becari last February (I wasn't going to be in Oaxaca long enough to enroll in a formal course), and the lessons were excellent (teacher's name was Alejandra). The school was incredibly flexible in finding me a teacher immediately (the same day I inquired), and in working around my schedule. I recommend them.

8. Re: Language schools in Oaxaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 05:31