We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz closed?

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il
Level Contributor
302 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz closed?

Did Hertz car rental close all locations in Oaxaca city/airport?

I was looking to rent a car just for a day to explore Mitla route during our stay in May.

I saw Hertz as being the one agency that was recommended (on Tomzap forum) located in the city at LaBastida 115. However I'm not finding a location for that on Hertz website, and not even at Xoxocotlan airport. It is saying that it is closed.

Any info on this?

Thanks.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz closed?

Yes, Hertz closed operations in Oaxaca. Avoid Europcar, at all costs, then consider something like Alamo.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

chicago, il
Level Contributor
302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz closed?

That's too bad since they seemed to have the best reputation.

I'll look into Alamo, then.

Thanks.

Denver
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz closed?

Sorry to break the news, but my experience with Alamo was horrendous!!

First, the car was not ready until 4.5 hours after the reserved start time, which killed the day. Worse, they kept saying "come back in a half hour" -- NINE TIMES. Then, it was a total junker--200k miles, dents EVERYWHERE, one tire thread-bare, shocks shot. Third, I was forced to either buy their CDW (which cancels the CDW provided by my cc) or they would pre-authorized my cc for MX$150,000 = US$11,000!! I tried the latter, and my cc company canceled my card due to suspected fraud. (I told them I was in OAX, but I guess $11k is well beyond their algorithms!) Alamo's CDW was terrible -- a $1500 deductible. Fourth, I was also forced to by liability insurance that I was told at the time of my reservation was optional. Not totally surprised by that, except that Europcar includes it in their rates, so AFTER Alamo told me it was optional, I thought that it was an optional ADDITIONAL coverage, and the mandatory component was included.

But wait, there's more!! Rent from Alamo, and you will also have the luxury of being ripped off on the exchange rate...

Next time I will definitely try Europcar.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz closed?

We ended up reserving ahead online with Alamo and bought every possible insurance they offered, which doubled the price (to about $100usd), but we wanted as much peace of mind as we could get.

We reserved our car for a 9am pickup (right when they open on Sunday) and the shop doors were not actually opened until maybe 9:10. Then there was paperwork. Then they did not want to give us the first car they brought out because it had too many scratches (it was fine), so a spanking new one was brought. We all noted every scratch because they are strict. We were off by about 9:40, though.

When we turned it in one of the staff tried to point out some scratch which he thought we might have caused, but the manager said "don't worry about it- this guy bought every insurance in the world". Perhaps they also were loathe to start an arguement as my husband is a Spanish speaker.

I should point out it is low season (we just got back) and probably more cars available.

When we signed the final bill it was in pesos and my husband thought maybe they beefed it up a little, but when we figured it on the calculator w current exchange rate, it was within one or two bucks of the online estimate we had received.

So all in all we had a decent experience, but maybe just lucky?

5. Re: Hertz closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:28