We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial planning question

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
298 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Initial planning question

We love Mexico, but have always gone to the Yucatan Peninsula (closer & easier). We are planning a 12 day (or so) trip that would include some beach time (for DW) and some exploring time (for me). We are thinking of spending half the trip in Oaxaca and half in Huatulco. My first thought was to fly into Huatulco, rent a car & drive to Oaxaca for 5 days, then return to Huatulco for beach time & return home.

Questions: Should we Fly in & out of Oaxaca - - or - - fly to one & take a bus to the other & fly out of there?..... Any and all recommendations welcome!

Phil

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Initial planning question

If the routing and its costing work for you, you'd be best to fly into one and leave from the other. Options are bus, van, car rental if you can pick up in one location and leave in the other, and flight (Aerotucan is about 1400 pesos). If you do elect the other way, consider the drive one way and a flight the other. For a first visit to the state, it's an awful lot of time and trouble going back and forth, when there's so much to see and do in the central valleys of Oaxaca. Of course the drive is nice (more breathtaking to and from Puerto Escondido, though), but if you are beach people who also like culture, then my thinking is doing whatever you can to spend half your vacation on the beach, and the other half in the state capital visiting the downtown and central valley sights.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Minnesota
Level Contributor
298 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Initial planning question

Thanks Alvin!

I must say, your place looks great :)

3. Re: Initial planning question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 10:38