We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 in Oaxaca...

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Family of 5 in Oaxaca...

Hi, I’m Michael from New Jersey. Our family of five is traveling to Oaxaca in August for 10 days: Myself, my wife, our 2 children (13, 4) and my mother (72, a little difficulty in walking). We already bought air tickets. Arrival at Oaxaca Airport: Aug. 9, 9pm. Departure from Oaxaca Airport: Aug. 19, 7:36am.

It’s our first time to Mexico, let alone Oaxaca and I would appreciate your advice. My general plan is to stay in the Oaxaca city for 4-5 days and spend the rest in the coast area before coming back to the city on the 18th so we can catch that early flight back home on the 19th.

(1) First, do you think that general itinerary is good? Or should we just stay in one place?

(2) Any suggestions on rental house or place for a family of 5 in Oaxaca city?

(3) What town along the coast area will be good for family trip? Again appreciate any suggestions on vacation house or hotel in that area.

(4) Can we just take a bus from the city to the coast town and back or is it better to get a rental car?

Thank you!

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5 in Oaxaca...

For a family, I would suggest Huatulco, but it is not as close or short a trip as it looks like on the map. The drive would be several hours through some rough terrain so I would not suggest renting a car. A flight would take less than an hour but might not be in your budget. The bus maybe? If you post your question in the Huatulco forum, you will get better answers.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5 in Oaxaca...

For ten days, and with the makeup of your family, the plan seems good to me. I might spend one extra day in Oaxaca before going to the coast. Two full days touring the village / central valley sights, and the rest of the time in the city before going to the coast. With a family of five, hiring a driver to take you to the coast might be economically feasible. Your accommodations host should be able to help you in this regard in terms of arranging for a driver, suggesting a reliable van company, liaising with Aerotucan for ticket purchase or inquiries, etc. Puerto Escondido and Huatulco are your best two coast options. With a Huatulco all inclusive you will have less to be concerned about in terms of satisfying the interests of everyone. On the other hand, after the cultural experience in Oaxaca, relaxing on the beach in either resort town would probably be fine, so it is just a matter of deciding which of the two.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

3. Re: Family of 5 in Oaxaca...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2013, 13:22
Caldwell, Idaho
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5 in Oaxaca...

I would say go to the coast first. If you're going to run into problems its going to be to and from coast trip. Something as simple as missing your bus could set you back a day or lots of money. Go to the coast, have fun, and don't be worried /vulnerable about your flight. Huatulco has nicer beaches but is more expensive. Puerto Escondido is nice. But I see it as nice for the younger crowd.

5. Re: Family of 5 in Oaxaca...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 04:17