We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca to Juchitan

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca to Juchitan

I want to travel from Oaxaca City to Juchitan and then on to Tuxtla/San Cristobal et al.

Has anyone taken this route before?

For Oaxaca to Juchitan, I imagine the road would be similar as the Puerto Angel bus but it would take longer - is that right?

To get from Juchitan to Tuxtla are there buses?

What about renting a car? Any ideas regarding renting in Oaxaca and dropping off in Tuxtla?

Thanks so much for helping.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

There recently have been a whole series of discussions about travel to Tuxtla and beyond. I suggest you search on the tern "Tuxtla" right here on this forum and then sort the results by date. The ones that are less than a year or so old should have information that is pretty current.

As for the buses, ADO buses go through Juchitan on their way to Tuxtla and SCLC so it is feasible to stop. It is the same road that the bus to Puerto Angel takes, except that the PA bus turns south toward Salina Cruz and the ones to Juchitan, etc. head on east across the Isthmus.

To get a general idea of the buses avaialable, go to the ADO site and search fro buses from Oaxaca to Juchitan, etc. but set the date for the next week or two--dates further out give incomplete lists.

oaxaca, oaxaca
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

The easiest way to Juchitan is to take a 20 passenger van. They are easy to find in Town. Most of the companies leave in the area just south of the zocolo - so ask there and they will know. I just took one to Tehuantepc (about 20 minutes from Juchitan) and it left directly across the street from the Pitico on the periferico just south of the glorietta of Indedpendencia. It took about 5 hours, cost 150 pesos and was a MUCH easier and shorter ride than going to Pochutla-P. Angel or P. Escondido - the route is south west going via Matatlan (mescal capital) and it is a pretty ride. The van will stop about half way to get something to eat. IT IS NOT THE SAME ROUTE AS GOING TO P.ANGEL.

I stayed in Juchitan a few months ago and I was very pleased with the hotel central. http://hotelcentral.com.mx/

Hotels are not really cheap in Juchitan and this is really the best of group - very close to the market.

Getting to the bus station is easy and there are many buses to Tuxtla G, or directly to San Cris.

Renting a car here in Mexico is usually very expensive when there is a drop off fee. Don't worry - the van and bus are really easy - they run very often.

When you are in Oaxaca City, stop at one of the Bus Ticket booths (big yellow signs) and check out the bus schedule. You can buy your ticket - a little service charge - but easier because they have ALL the buses, not just ADO.

I know there is one just up from the north-east corner of the zocolo, But I think there are a few in town.

Make sure you go out in the evening - after 8 or so - and eat garnaches by the park and across from the market. They are like little tacos but not - Delicious!

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

ADO Buses serve Juchitan from Oaxaca City with frequent service throughout the day starting at around 7 am and ending with the last bus around midnight. The 5 hour trip cost 222 Pesos for ADO or OCC, 266 for GL. The buses leave the ADO first class terminal on Route 190 in Oaxaca City and use Route 190 to reach Juchitan. This is a slightly less hilly route than Route 175 used by the vans that run to Pochutla for Puerto Angel.

OCC and ADO GL Buses from Juchitan serve to Tuxtla and San Cristobal.

see ADO .com.mx website

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

Thanks for the info, softseat and 2oax2.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 21:37
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

and voyamexico too!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

If you get a chance take a few hours in Tehuantepec to wander around the market and adjoining streets,The market ladies are gorgeous.Check out the "Motos".You an get a local bus to Juchitan when you are ready to go.In my opinion all travel in this area should be done in the daylight.The ride from Juchitan to San Cristobal is stunning and for the best view heading up into the mountains ride on the passengerside .Buen Viaje.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

We are planning on traveling from Oaxaca City to Tehuantepec and on to Juchitan and will have 5 or so days to explore the area. Can we be spontaneous with accomodations? Might we find people to hire to tour us around the area? We will not have a car, planning on taking public transportation from Oaxaca per this earlier thread. Any advice, hints, tips on the Isthmus area would be great.

oaxaca, oaxaca
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

It will be easy to find rooms if you are planning to go now. It is really hot there now and no one goes unless they have to.

There is not a great tourist industry but you will be able to find a taxi to show you around. there is swimming at the springs of Tlacotepec which are very nice. The trip there is by the way of the garbage dump but once there it is nice. The weekends are very crowded.

There really is not a great deal to see in the area. The attraction are the people, so plan to wander the market in Juchitan and Tehuantepec early and then eat garnaches after dark. In Juchitan near the market and in Tehuantepec in the zocolo. Perhaps interesting to see some place where they make totopos, the process looks very much like cooking in a tandori oven from India.

One of the main reasons for visiting Juchitan in my mind is to eat in Santa Maria Xadani. It is south of Juchitan on the inland part of the ocean. About 15 minutes - probably there is a bus or collectivo.

Go in the main road and soon after the church there will be a sign to turn right to go to Na'Vicenta. After the turn go about 6 blocks. Excellent fish and shrimp and wonderful Micheladas (beer with tomato,chili - not too spicy - served in cold mugs) $150 or so for a giant meal. Really don't miss it.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

Thanks 2oaxaca - didn't realize it was so hot in the area. Sounds like I should stay farther north! Posted another post with suggestions, perhaps you will see it and reply. Ruth

oaxaca, oaxaca
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oaxaca to Juchitan

can't find your other post - which forum?