We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca coast itinerary help

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oaxaca coast itinerary help

Just realized I somehow posted this on the UK tripadvisor...

Hi everyone. My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Is the following itinerary too ambitious?? I've done tons of research on these locations and love what each have to offer.

We're looking for a mix of cultural and culinary experiences, nature adventures, beach night life (local bars, dancing), and lastly, some R&R in a nice resort in Huatulco to end the trip.

Also, being that it would be early December, are the beaches going to be completely empty? That wouldn't be good.

Wed. Dec. 4: Arrive in Mex. City, stay at Gran Hotel?

Thu. Dec. 5: Mex City

Fri. Dec. 6: Fly to HUA, Prto Escondido, stay at Villa Lili or sister hotel?

Sat. Dec. 7: Puerto Escondido

Sun. Dec. 8: Puerto Escondido and surroundings

Mon. Dec. 9: Zipolite, stay at El Alquimista

Tue. Dec. 10: Zipolite, check out Mazunte?

Wed. Dec. 11: Head to Huatulco, stay at Quinta Real ??

Thur. Dec. 12: Huatulco

Fri Dec. 13: Huatulco

Sat. Dec. 14: Early flight to Mex. City, head back home.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido
Oaxaca, Mexico
Zipolite
Zipolite
152 Reviews
Puerto Angel, Mexico
Mazunte
Mazunte
Oaxaca, Mexico
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxaca coast itinerary help

There are separate forums for both Puerto Escondido and Huatulco. I suggest you post on those as well to get more input particularly on the beach population in early December.

We have only visited PE once. We had a marvelous time in about two and a half very busy days so your schedule seems reasonable and should allow you beach time as well as a chance to see the lagoons and other natural areas. We went with a guide who is a friend of ours but there is a very well-regarded tourist agency in Puerto that can arrange lagoon and other tours. Perhaps someone else on this board will provide the name; I have forgotten it.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Graham, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxaca coast itinerary help

Mexico City is a wonderful introduction to the history, art, culture and archeology of the country. Two nights there gives you really only one complete day. You will be very busy! I suggest dinner at Azul Historico or Quintonil for great food and romance. I stayed in Mazunte a few years ago, very relaxing, laid back beach town with great little restaurants. In Puerto Escondido, Luna Tours, run by an ex-pat American JJ Richardson and her Mexican husband, offers fishing, diving and water sports. IMHO you have a lot of running around planned. I would stay at least 3-4 days in each location to really get the atmosphere. Huatulco is more like Cancun, so if you want a less touristy experience, you might just plant yourself in Mazunte! I write a lot about Oaxaca and Mexico on my blog: Oaxaca Cultural Navigator. Check it out.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Mazunte
Mazunte
Oaxaca, Mexico
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Oaxaca Cultural Navigator
Oaxaca Cultural Navigator
69 Reviews
Oaxaca, Mexico
oaxaca, oaxaca
Level Contributor
140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxaca coast itinerary help

I notice you say fly from Mexico to "hua" - isn't that Huatulco - you will want to fly to Puerto.

I would skip Zipolite except for a brief visit perhaps -(my daughter volunteers at a rehabilitacion center in zipolite called Pina Palmas - interesting stop) Mazunte and San Augustinillo are much nicer. There are some very nice small cabana type hotels at San Augustinillo - right on the beach. At Mazunte and Zipolite hard to get something on the beach.

While in Puerto do visit the lagoons nearby.

Early dec the beaches are not empty but not crowded - a really good time to go.

In San Augustinillo or Huatulco do do a boat tour - you will see whales perhaps, but definitely other things. The tour boat from Huatulco does a quick snorkel stop that is fun.

The food at the hotel costa eden - El restaurante L' echalote - is excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Zipolite
Zipolite
152 Reviews
Puerto Angel, Mexico
Mazunte
Mazunte
Oaxaca, Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oaxaca coast itinerary help

Huatulco airport code is HUX.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oaxaca coast itinerary help

While Puerto Escondido does have it's own airport, many visitors fly into Huatulco simply because there are more flights available.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Oaxaca coast itinerary help

Thank you all for your feedback!

7. Re: Oaxaca coast itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:16