We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money

Concord, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Changing money

is it necessary to change us dollars into pesos? What about the ride from the airport?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money

Use your ATM card. Best exchange rates & less hassles. Do this at any bank. I believe there is a ATM at the airport. I know for a fact you can at MEX which you most likely pass through.

If you exchange dollars you must show a passport & there is a limit that varies on amount from bank to bank. Also I was told by another inside a bank that will only exchange pesos to dollars between 11:00 to 3:00.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money

To answer your subtext question: yes, you must pay in pesos. Very few Mexicans will accept US dollars because of the strict laws to discourage money laundering. As a result the banks limit what Mexican citizens can deposit and they take out the taxes immediately.

Check with your bank to see how much they charge for foreign currency transactions. It should be no more than 1%. Make sure your bank knows you will be using your debit card in Mexico before you leave. Credit cards are accepted in the major restaurants and stores; again check to see what the foreign transaction fee is and tell them you will be in Mexico. The fees are usually higher for a credit card than for the debit card. (These answers to not apply to Canadian cards; tthe rules are different there)

There is an ATM at the airport. You can also have your home bank get some pesos for you before you leave; the exchange rate on these is usually crumby so don't get much. They usually need some lead time on this unless you deal with a main bank in a large city.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing money

All airports have ATM's but I don't count on the ATM's functioning and I don't want currency to be my arrival priority so I arrive with minimum 1000 Pesos, even if I have to buy them at a poor exchange from the departing airport.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing money

Last poster: Wise method of dealing with the currency conundrum from the outset!

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Concord, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing money

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

6. Re: Changing money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:16