We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

We are flying American from Dallas to Mexico City and would like to fly to Oaxaca one way (we're taking the bus back). There is a flight on Interjet that departs two hours later and they are located in the same terminal. Is this enough time or would we be cutting it too close? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

I really wouldn't do it. Once you land you will have to deplane, walk to the immigration area, wait your turn, pass through to the baggage area, wait for your bags, collect them, pass through customs. This very often takes an hour. You then have to change floors and walk to the Interjet check-in counters, stand in line, check-in. Note that Interjet's policies clearly state that you should check-in TWO hours before departure - any time after that and they can give your seat away. And of course your incoming plane may be late.... So, IF your first flight is on time, IF immigration lines move quite quickly, IF your bags aren't delayed and IF Interjet don't mind you checking in a bit late (if you're there an hour before departure then you're probably OK) then you can make it. But if not you will lose your Interjet ticket and be stranded.

I'm not saying you won't make it but it's not a risk I would be willing to take!

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

A couple of weeks ago the Interjet people in Oaxaca told me that the two hour rule is just so they don't have trouble keeping their flight schedule, and that 1.5 hours is okay, but they recommend against it. So even they are being kind suggesting 1.5 hours, but even if you take them at their word, it still does not help you. Yes, it is perhaps an unnecessarily onerous rule for a domestic flight, but it is a rule and as SteveMex cautioned, they can give your seat away. Arriving in Mexico City from the US and Canada, I have whizzed through customs in 5 minutes, and I have had to wait in a line for 40 minutes and felt stressed worrying about not getting to the bus station on time. Given the foregoing, and the additional possible delays as noted by SteveMex, and his sound advice, I would do it only if you're prepared to take the risk, a pretty substantial one I would add. I wouldn't do it. Interjet is a good airline, and seemingly gaining popularity with every passing month.

Alvin Starkman- Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca; Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

Thanks for the quick responses - this is exactly the information we were looking for. We are not going to risk it and will probably take the bus. The Aeromexico flights are a bit more expensive and the next Interjet flight is almost six hours later. We greatly appreciate the information!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

Are you aware that there is a direct flight on United to and from Houston and Oaxaca each day? This is much simpler than going through Mexico City. Maybe the cost is more (I don't know) but I would gladly pay an extra $200 a head to avoid Mexico City airport.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

In each of the terminals there are taxi ticket booths, with fixed fees, getting you to the bus station for example. Don't use anyone who rushes over to you and offers you something special. Ask at the information booth where the taquilla (ticket booth) for the taxis is. I think it's about 120 pesos or perhaps a bit more now, from the airport to the TAPO bus station. It's been a couple of years for me. If you arrive in the main Terminal One at the airport, the taxi booth is ground floor at one end of the building. An alternative is taking a bus, Estrella Roja line, right from the airport to Puebla and spending a day there downtown sightseeing, and then continuing on to Oaxaca.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

Voyamexico....Thanks for the info. With American, I was able to get my husband and I RT tickets to MEX for 50,000 miles. Otherwise, I would have considered flying directly into OAX. I never seem to be able to use my miles on trips I want to take so I was pretty excited we could do it!

Alvin...thanks so much for the info on the cabs. We plan on stopping in Puebla on the way back. I've read through the forum going back about a year and appreciate all the items you've posted...it's been very helpful in planning our trip!

7. Re: MEX-OAX: 2 hours enough time to transfer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17