We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Biking around Oaxaca

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Longmont, Colorado
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mountain Biking around Oaxaca

We are hoping to do a semi-DIY mountain biking trip around Oaxaca in late November. We have found guided multi-day packages, but would rather be on our own schedule. It seems that mountain bike tour companies are promoting Oaxaca and it seems like the perfect place to ride, however, I haven't found any info on mountain bike rental shops, guides (for the day), or much else. If anyone has any info on how possible it would be for us to do DIY mountain biking it would be greatly appreciated!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Biking around Oaxaca

First a caveat: you cannot just go biking off of the public roads on your own in much of the area in the mountains north of Oaxaca. The land is all owned communally by the various pueblos in the area. They control access to the trails and (with good reason) want to know who is traveling through their communities. They require you to have a permit to use their land and a guide on some of the off road trails. The good news is that most of them welcome tourists of all kinds—hikers, day walkers, cyclists, etc. and have formed a cooperative, Pueblos Mancomunados,

lonelyplanet.com/mexico/…pueblos-mancomunados

They facilitate visits through Expediciones Sierra Norte:

http://sierranorte.org.mx/en/index.html

As you can see by the website, this group provides basic tours. However, it may be that you can make arrangements through them to get the proper permissions to go on your own, but you do need to speak Spanish to make the arrangements (and to travel through the mountains). If you need an English speaking guide you need to let them know in advance.

There is also an eco-tourism consortium further north around Ixtlan and Capulalpam, which offers bike rentals. The only website that I have that works is

www.ecoturismoenoaxaca.com/ecoturixtlan.html

and is not very informative. Maybe someone else can come up with a better link.

As you have found, for those who do not want to make all the arrangements themselves, there are commercial tour groups that also provide complete packages and deal with all the details of getting you and your luggage to the mountains, etc. We have used Bicicletas Pedro Martinez

http://www.bicicletaspedromartinez.com/

and found them very reliable. They have been in business a long time. They also rent bicycles by the day, week, etc. if you want one for touring the Valley and mountains on public roads (or even just getting around town).

There is bicycle shop on Garcia Vigil, just north of Bravo, whose name I do not remember (I am not in Oaxaca right now) but it also rents bikes and I believe has tours.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Biking around Oaxaca

I recommend Pedro Martinez bicycle tours. I've known him for close to ten years, and have never encountered anything but praise for what he does. He'll do custom if you like, no problem, for a day or a week or anything in between. Nice guy too.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca; Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

3. Re: Mountain Biking around Oaxaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17