We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to dress in Oaxaca

Montreal
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
how to dress in Oaxaca

Hi,

I was reading in one of the Mexico city posts that it was considered inappropriate to walk around wearing shorts. Is it the same case in Oaxaca? I am assuming it would be ok for children to wear them?

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

Wore shorts my visit and saw most tourists wearing them. Have to say I did not see any locals wearing shorts though.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

Not "inappropriate" at all. Few Mexicans will be wearing shorts but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

Also some days it's too chilly to wear shorts...5200' elevation......

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

As it happens, I wrote an article a while back addressing that very topic. Here's the link:

https://suite.io/alvin-starkman/2sse2jr

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

Alvin's advice is excellent. I would only add that, in my personal opinion, tourists should show respect for the culture by seeing that their shoulders and knees are covered when they visit the local churches, since they are all functioning religious entities. And, any young woman in short shorts, particularly by herself, is going to be sending a message that she is "improper" whether she intends it or not and should be ready to fend off advances.

Montreal
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

Ok, thank you all for the advice. I will keep my not so short shorts for Huatulco!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

" And, any young woman in short shorts, particularly by herself, is going to be sending a message that she is "improper""

I'm not so sure about that. Particulary talking about an obvious foreginer. I think the train of thought would be something like "well those are some very short shorts... Oh, yes, she is a tourist". And that's it. Now if a mexican does that she might sent the "improper" message. I guess what I'm saying is that is "okay" for tourist to wear them because they are tourist. Myself I only feel comfortable wearing them on beach destinations, i would not wear those in the city, a longer skirt i think is more appropriate for Oaxaca. Like one of those you can buy dirt cheap in Mitla.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

The oft-repeated idea that locals don't wear shorts is a bit of a myth. It's really more of an age thing: if you really look, you'll find plenty of younger guys (and some girls) wearing them every day, especially in warmer weather. If they weren't popular, you wouldn't find them sold all over town – though styles do different from the touristwear you tend to see. It's true that they're not very popular with the older crowd, but absolutely nothing disrespectful about it unless they barely cover the tops of your legs.

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

Alvin, that was a very helpful article. Thank-you.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to dress in Oaxaca

I personally Never wear shorts in Mountain/Inland Mexico but I know a number of Ex Pats in Oaxaca that do so.

My first experience in a large inland city was Guadalajara in 1986. My first AM was bright & sunny so I dressed in shorts & a tee. Went about 2 blocks from the Hotel Mendoza but after numerous stares I turned around & went back to change as I was the only person dressed in short pants.

Have not worn any inland since.

PS In those days almost all local women wore dresses which has certainly changed.